1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lots of remote operated cameras i mean lots

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by BarryS, Sep 4, 2008.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i can see live view being helpful here as you don't have to look through the viewfinder to line up the shot. i'm still amazed at the penetration of the D3 in the pj market.

ricky

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I'd like to know how they all used pocket wizards and didn't trip each others camera?

3. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    I was thinking maybe the were all on the same frequency so they would all trip the same time.

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    If they're all aiming to capture the same moment, it would be a moot point. You see this all the time at pro soccer games where cameras are positioned at ground level just behind the goal net. Seems like the smart photographers would hang around the good ones and make sure they ARE on the same frequency. Let someone else trigger your shutter while you are elsewhere shooting from a different vantage point or another event!

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    mani started droolin over all the lenses haha great litle vid, a side that most people wouldnt appreciate as we all do

6. There was an article after the last olympics that talked about how the photographer had to register the frequency that they would be using durinig the olympics. You could not use the same frequency as someone else. You had to be using something like the multi-max pocketwizards to be able to adjust the freq.

7. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    Wow. That’s incredible. I guess some might consider it a new art from. There goes the adrenalin rush of being elbow to elbow with your fellow photographers fighting for that perfect shot.

8. Is it really photography if it's controlled by remote. I find that kinda lame. There's no better rush than shooting your target in your viewfinder and knowing that what you see with your own eyes, will be seen by millions of viewers. That's the real thrill!

9. But, remember that these photographers are all on commission and I don't think many are shooting for a "thrill" but for their wage.

I'd assume most of these photographers have ongoing personal projects where they get their thrills, however, this is a job, and they need to get the shots, whether that's remote or not.

Generally, the way it's done at soccer for example, a body with wide angle lens behind the goal with a pocket wizard, and when you're sat at the sideline with your 400 or 600mm telephoto covering the game, when you take the shot of the goal from your angle, you get the 2nd angle too.

10. I shoot professionally, I make my money taking pictures. I still like shooting what I see. But that's just me! :wink:

11. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Jonathan, but do you have to answer to an irate photo editor, explaining that the motion blur 'enhances the photo' whereas every other pj has a sharp in focus of 'enter team name here' winning goal ?
    Shooting professionally and shooting for a newpaper/agency are not always the same thing.

12. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Just looked again at the video - seemed to be 50-50 for the remote setup but when the video showed actual people the majority of big lenses are white in colour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.