Lotus Blloms at Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens - Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Vienna Pics, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I went to Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens this morning at 7:00 AM with my daughter (age 9) to see what the fuss was about the lotus flowers in bloom. The weather was perfect, no bugs, slight cool breeze, all I needed was a cup of coffe and newspaper to sit and enjoy myself.

We plan to go back Sunday at 7:00AM when they open. Maybe I will bring a cup of coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Oooh, so tempting! I think we're going to Lake Anna tomorrow, otherwise I'd head up there. Any idea how long they're in bloom?

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    First one is very beautiful.

4. I'm with Gale, that first photo is very beautiful.

5. I think Kenilworth is the best place in our area for lotus. It's my favorite anyway. Here's one I did a couple of years ago when I was testing the close focus on my 300/2.8. A great place for a local Cafers meet.

large.

6. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I would suggest calling and talking wiht the NPS Ranger to see what is in bloom. It would not surprise me that the Lotus will be in bloom next weekend - I would say 1/4 are gone - 1/2 are open & 1/4 have not opened. The water lilies are just starting to gloom, a little. We plan to go back next weekend mostly to see the water lilies and walk the board walk.

Thank you Gale.

Thank you.

Nice shot! I would recommend Kenilworth - it's a jewel not well know and well hidden.

7. That first shot is outstanding. I like the second shot too with the selective color. Well done

8. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Well, we decided not to go jet skiing at Lake Anna today after all, so we headed up to Kenilworth instead. We got caught on the Wilson Bridge as they raised the drawbridge for a Colombian tall ship, but got a few shots, so the 40 minutes sitting there wasn't a complete waste of time.

I'm so glad we went! Besides the flowers, I got some nice butterfly and dragonfly shots, and a couple of a turtle as well. I know I should have either used some fill flash or a reflector on the second one, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks Rich! #2 was my first try with selective colr.

10. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia