1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lotus blooms from Greenspring Gardens

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I got to get out and shoot for an hour or so this morning. Near noon light so pretty harsh. I took out my recently re-acquired Sigma 150 macro (thanks Jim Fenton!). This was used with the new-to-me Sigma 1.4 TC. Very excited to have this lens back in the fold... D700@ISO 200, raw (first time for me) converted using ACR, tripod mounted, MLU, remote shutter...

1. f8, 1/800

9508lotussm1-vi.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. f8, 1/500
    9508lotussm2-vi.jpg

3. f4, 1/640

9508lotussm3-vi.jpg

2. Hey Rich - I really like the second composition. Nicely done. Doesn't look like I'll get out until after the storm passes.

3. Thanks Steven, I am glad I got out today, looks like tomorrow will be a wash! We can certainly use the rain though, a shame it has to be on a Saturday...

4. Rich! Second one for me too. I started liking that Sigma

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    These are beautiful Rich. Nicely done.

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Very nice Rich. The composition of the second one is excellent; that of the first is not bad -- it just says something different. I really like the content of the third -- it would make an interesting story were it not for the interfering grass in the foreground.

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Rich. The second image "does it" for me as well. Just out of interest why did you decide to re-buy the 150mm Sigma, was the 105vr too short or something? I too have been trying to shoot RAW of late, however laziness always seem to prevail and before I know it I'm back to JPEG again.

8. Thank you C C. Kind of you to comment. It is a wonderful lens...

Thanks Paul, hope you are in equipment again soon. You know that we all miss your posts!

Thanks Bob. I have been working hard on comp. In the first one, the bloom was just exploding upward out of the base plant, I thought the vertical caught that impact some... But I didn't do as many of those as the landscape... I agree, that grass was a PITA, but nothing I could do, ah well!

Thanks Robert. After my first foray with raw I may indeed do it more. I tend to minimally process my jpg, so it seemed about the same amount of work (or less with these really) including conversion.

As to the sigma, since moving to the D700, I was noticing that i no longer had much reach in my macro collection. I had owned the 150 before and loved it with the D300, but found that my needs could be met with the 105VR or 105VR+TC. Not the case without the 1.5TC built into the D300. When I saw a good deal from a reputable forum member on the lens + TC, I jumped. This lens holds its value really well. It is in high demand, so easy to sell when Nikon releases the new Nikkor 200/4 VR AFS nano micro :Love:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.