Lotus

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Mike Z, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Here's another image that I got during my visit to the Chicago Botanic Garden. Shot with a Sigma 70-200.
    Mike

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Absolutely gorgeous Mike. I love the isolation that you've gotten here. Looks almost surreal. :wink:

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful, Mike. Never seen a lotus like that!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Outstanding image, Mike. I have never seen a flower like that before. Tack sharp image of a beautiful flower.

5. Beautiful capture of a very strange flower!!!??? I've never seen a stamen like that one - almost manmade looking. Amazing what Mother Nature throws our way, isn't it?

6. Great shot Mike. I am fairly certain that is the Holy Lotus (may be slightly incorrect name but is called that)

7. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    To all that responded. Thanks for all the kind words.

Frank (Flew), it's not difficult to get the separation. The stem is almost 24" and the flower stands alone.

Leigh, I've only seen that flower in the Botanic Garden where I shoot. But it has an enormous collection, from cactus to watermelon.

Frank (Eng45ine) You really should try the Botanic Garden. If you contact me, we could arrange to go there together.

Sandi, What was amazing to me was that the stamen was hard to the touch. I thought it would be soft and velvety.

Dave, Next time I'm there I'll check

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Very intresting flower. Good shot too.

9. Mike what did you use for a background?

I think it's great how you captured so much contrast!

10. Mike,

I love this image. I had no idea that the stem was that tall or that the stamen was hard to the touch. I am planning a trip to Brookside Gardens and Lilypons. I hope to find a few specimens. Thank you for sharing such an amazing flower.

11. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Brett,
    The water is the background. Each flower in the pond is somewhat isolated and you're able to shoot down on it.

Thanks to all who liked the shot.