Louis Vuitton/America's Cup. Valencia 2007.

I just wondered if I was the only person on NC who is watching this event.

So far today's racing has been incredible. The schedule looked boring but it has been the best day yet.

China has beated America's BMW Oracle Racing by almost a kilometre, by virtue of the fact that BMW broke their mainstay on the Genoa, and Spain's Desafino Espanol beat +39 on the line by 1 second.

I apologise if this means nothing to most of you, but I love this 4 yearly event.

BW. Bob F.

I love sailboat racing. Its much more exciting than Nascar. But for some reason I have not been keeping up with things this year. The last time they had it on I had Tivo and recorded it all. Maybe I need to get another one.

How far along are they? I need to look at the schedule.

I have done alot on club racing on my own boat. We have won several trophies. I would love to crew on one of their boats.

We have been trying to follow the cup but it is hard to find anyting to watch at a reasonable hour. We had the pleasure to tourist race on Stars and Stripes (an 80's contender) this past Thanksgiving in St. Maartin. It was a blast even though we carried about half the canvas the boat would in real racing.

114254361-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We went to the Louis Vuitton finals and first Americas Cup races in 2000 in New Zealand. We stayed at the same hotel as the Prada crew. It was a blast see them at the rooftop pool after the the races; that is, until they lost to the Blacks in the AC.

Loius Vuitton final
12122692-O.jpg

Now back to the real world of getting my boat ready for the first cruise of the season next weekend. It took me half the morning to clean and fill the fresh water tanks.

How far along are they? I need to look at the schedule.

They have just started the 2nd Round Robin. The top 4 then batttle for the LV Cup and the winner of this sails against the Swiss boat 'Allinghi.'

Larry Ellison/Chris Dickinson on BMW Oracle (USA) are the favourites but they have now been beaten twice, although I do expect them to be in the top 2 of the play-offs. The danger comes from Luna Rosa (Italy) and Team New Zealand, plus Shosaloza. (South Africa.)

The cup boats are fascinating.

God they are big!! To see two 75 foot yachts charging at each other and then turning away at the last moment is very very scary.:eek: :eek:

BW. Bob F.

P

Proweaver

I use to follow the Cup races but when they went high tech I sort of lose interest. I think I may check them out again. Last fall we were in Newport RI and a few of the older cup boats were out sailing on a beautiful sunny day . I took alot of pictures that day They had a back ground of 2 cruise ships which made for a few interesting shots My husband shoots film so he used up a whole roll. Great fun

Ciao Bob

we follow too, even in a less favourable way, that cup. We all know Luna Rossa.. but what about also Mascalzone Latino? It's Italian too and I know it had some kind of deathmatch just against Luna Rossa.. which of the two is going onwards?
Thanks.

It's Italian too and I know it had some kind of deathmatch just against Luna Rossa.. which of the two is going onwards?

I had hoped that MLC or the Latin Rascals as they are known in Valencia would do well, but they have made too many mistakes and unless they do exceptionally well in this last set of races they will not finish in the top 4.

Still, they are a youmg team and will learn alot from this event.

BW. Bob F

http://www.americascup.com/en/news/...&idPage=0&idRubr=70&idIndex=0&idContent=20120

I went to Newport, RI a couple of summers ago and caught a race. Great fun. It was a bit overcast, but the race was so close the the shore that I got a great view.

78446720.jpg

We had our own wild race on Chesapeake Bay this Sunday with sustained winds of 35 knots and gusts up to 40 knots true wind. We were too busy to take pictures.

We had our own wild race on Chesapeake Bay this Sunday with sustained winds of 35 knots and gusts up to 40 knots true wind. We were too busy to take pictures.

Wow that is awesome. I would love to have been there. Nothing like high winds and 10 boats positioning for the starting line. It does get hairy sometimes.

I heard it said that sailing was 90% boredom and 10% terror. You just never know when the terror will strike.

Real Name
Philip Armitage
time for an update Bob??

I just wondered if I was the only person on NC who is watching this event.

So far today's racing has been incredible. The schedule looked boring but it has been the best day yet.

China has beated America's BMW Oracle Racing by almost a kilometre, by virtue of the fact that BMW broke their mainstay on the Genoa, and Spain's Desafino Espanol beat +39 on the line by 1 second.

I apologise if this means nothing to most of you, but I love this 4 yearly event.

BW. Bob F.

Semifinals are now upon us - what is your prediction for the final Bob, want to put some $$ on it to make it interesting?? ;)

Well what a day's racing that was.

Luna Rossa wins AGAIN and D. Espanol BEAT New Zealand.

Boy was I cheering them both on
.:biggrin: :biggrin:

I really do think that Luna Rossa can beat BMW-Oracle. If they had not made a basic mistake yesterday thay would be 3-0 up.

Rest day tomorrow. Roll on Friday.

BW. Bob F

The score is now Luna Rossa 3 BMW-Oracle Racing 1. Again LR simply out raced them. Chris Dickson and Larry Ellison must be getting worried as they have yet to round any mark FIRST!!!

New Zealand 3 Spain 1.

Bob F.

Race 5 Saturday.

Absolutely incredible. James Spithill who is the young 27 year old Australian helemsman on Itay's Luna Rossa absolutely outthought and out manoevered Chris Dickson on America's BMW-Oracle and won match 5 by 2 minutes. BMW/USA now need to win the next 4 races. I reckon that Larry Ellison will replace Chris Dickson as helmsman which will mean the end of his involvement in the L.V. Cup and possibly the end of his career.

Italy 4 USA 1

New Zealand 4 Italy 1.

Its match point day tomorrow for the leading boats.

Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom