Lousy outside...so stills it is. Redone with tripod

Stunning color and lighting.

My guess is that you didn't use a tripod. I realize that you didn't ask for critique, but this is so good I hope I can convince you to shoot it again using a tripod and a smaller aperture to keep everything in focus. It appears that the tabletop underneath the blanket appears on the right side. That would be easy to eliminate during post-processing but would be good to attend to in the physical scene if you decide to give it another go.

Stunning color and lighting.

My guess is that you didn't use a tripod. I realize that you didn't ask for critique, but this is so good I hope I can convince you to shoot it again using a tripod and a smaller aperture to keep everything in focus. It appears that the tabletop underneath the blanket appears on the right side. That would be easy to eliminate during post-processing but would be good to attend to in the physical scene if you decide to give it another go.
thanks for the feedback Mike. You're right of course I didn't use a tripod for these shots. I will take your advice and shoot again with a tripod and smaller aperture.

Set up redone, this time using a tripod and stopped down to f/8 as per Mike's suggestion. Originals were shot earlier using ambient light. For the redone version I used a fixed light source camera right.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Set up redone, this time using a tripod and stopped down to f/8 as per Mike's suggestion. Originals were shot earlier using ambient light. For the redone version I used a fixed light source camera right.View attachment 1625833
I like this photograph very much.

I would suggest using a lower ISO when shooting from a tripod. ISO 2500 to achieve a 1/100th second shutter speed doesn't seem necessary...could use a much slower shutter speed to improve image quality.

Glenn

I didn't notice your EXIF information until seeing Glenn's post about it. Though using a lower ISO may not result in noticeably improved image quality depending on how large you display it, there's simply no reason not to use the camera's base ISO for a scene such as this one. That, of course, assumes the wheat isn't being blown by a strong wind or a fan.

I like this photograph very much.

I would suggest using a lower ISO when shooting from a tripod. ISO 2500 to achieve a 1/100th second shutter speed doesn't seem necessary...could use a much slower shutter speed to improve image quality.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn...I typically have auto iso enabled and didn't consider cancelling the auto part and selecting a cleaner iso...oh well another take may be in order

I didn't notice your EXIF information until seeing Glenn's post about it. Though using a lower ISO may not result in noticeably improved image quality depending on how large you display it, there's simply no reason not to use the camera's base ISO for a scene such as this one. That, of course, assumes the wheat isn't being blown by a strong wind or a fan.
For sure. I don't do a lot of indoor still shots so am operating in outdoor settings mode. ie auto iso. I have to remember to set a functional ISO pertaining to the scene I'm shooting and not rely on auto ISO.

Thanks Glenn...I typically have auto iso enabled and didn't consider cancelling the auto part and selecting a cleaner iso...oh well another take may be in order
For this scene, I would set the ISO to the base of 64...set the aperture for f/8 or maybe even f/9 or smaller...and let the shutter speed be what it may. It's not uncommon for me to shoot with shutter speeds of 5 to 20 seconds for static scenes.

Glenn

For this scene, I would set the ISO to the base of 64...set the aperture for f/8 or maybe even f/9 or smaller...and let the shutter speed be what it may. It's not uncommon for me to shoot with shutter speeds of 5 to 20 seconds for static scenes.

Glenn[/QUOTE
Thanks Glenn for the advice. Need to implement your suggestion for future static scenes and utilize the tripod more in order to achieve those shutter speeds

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Great set! I would also suggest that moving the composition to the right would make a much stronger composition. The wheat is bending to the left.....therefore leave more room on the left.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom