1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lousy outside...so stills it is. Redone with tripod

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Bohdan, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Ukie%20still%208171-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stunning color and lighting.

My guess is that you didn't use a tripod. I realize that you didn't ask for critique, but this is so good I hope I can convince you to shoot it again using a tripod and a smaller aperture to keep everything in focus. It appears that the tabletop underneath the blanket appears on the right side. That would be easy to eliminate during post-processing but would be good to attend to in the physical scene if you decide to give it another go.

3. thanks for the feedback Mike. You're right of course I didn't use a tripod for these shots. I will take your advice and shoot again with a tripod and smaller aperture.

4. Thanks Rick

5. Rich and warm - the second best thing to combat wicked cold and damp! (The best comes in a glass!)

6. That's a beautiful setup and very nicely photographed.

7. Set up redone, this time using a tripod and stopped down to f/8 as per Mike's suggestion. Originals were shot earlier using ambient light. For the redone version I used a fixed light source camera right.
    Ukie%20still%208182-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Your second one most definitely does it! Not just by fixing the two details I mentioned but also because its lighting is even better.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I like this photograph very much.

I would suggest using a lower ISO when shooting from a tripod. ISO 2500 to achieve a 1/100th second shutter speed doesn't seem necessary...could use a much slower shutter speed to improve image quality.

Glenn

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I didn't notice your EXIF information until seeing Glenn's post about it. Though using a lower ISO may not result in noticeably improved image quality depending on how large you display it, there's simply no reason not to use the camera's base ISO for a scene such as this one. That, of course, assumes the wheat isn't being blown by a strong wind or a fan.

12. Thanks Mike for your suggestions and feedback

13. Thanks Glenn...I typically have auto iso enabled and didn't consider cancelling the auto part and selecting a cleaner iso...oh well another take may be in order

14. For sure. I don't do a lot of indoor still shots so am operating in outdoor settings mode. ie auto iso. I have to remember to set a functional ISO pertaining to the scene I'm shooting and not rely on auto ISO.

15. For this scene, I would set the ISO to the base of 64...set the aperture for f/8 or maybe even f/9 or smaller...and let the shutter speed be what it may. It's not uncommon for me to shoot with shutter speeds of 5 to 20 seconds for static scenes.

Glenn

17. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great set! I would also suggest that moving the composition to the right would make a much stronger composition. The wheat is bending to the left.....therefore leave more room on the left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thanks Karen

19. Nicely done, Bob. I know squat about studio work so can only offer a viewers perspective. Which is that I enjoyed the image.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.