1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Love the B/W filter of NX2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Harry S., Aug 26, 2008.

1. I never liked the B/W options in PS, especially hated the channel mixer. The new NIK plug-in was tempting but recently I tried the B/W filter in NX2 - what a revelation! It is so comfortable to use, at least for my approach, in particular I prefer have a color bar with a slider instead of having to fiddle around in separate color channels.

I will do a lot more B/W from now on and I saved 199 €.

BTW - I found out something else. Greyscale is also a color space not understood by non-colorspace-aware applications. I always thought this only concerns sRGB vs the other RGB (and CMYK) modes. Anyway, an image converted to greyscale appears much darker than a B/W left in sRGB.

Example (D3, 85/1.4D, 1/2000, f/2.0, ISO 1600):

Original

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

B/W in sRGB

original.jpg

B/W in "greyscale"

original.jpg

Cheers

2. Tom, I know that, but I was not aware until recently that the B/W filter in NX is so powerful :smile:

I did not complain about the darkness, I just noted that one and the same image turns out darker in IE after it has been converted to greyscale. I do not see the difference in PS because PS is aware of color space.

I have not looked for that option yet, but is it possible to convert an image to greyscale already in NX2?
    Usually I would not mind whether I have a B/W in sRGB or greyscale but the latter has much smaller files :smile:

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.