Love the B/W filter of NX2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Harry S., Aug 26, 2008.

1. I never liked the B/W options in PS, especially hated the channel mixer. The new NIK plug-in was tempting but recently I tried the B/W filter in NX2 - what a revelation! It is so comfortable to use, at least for my approach, in particular I prefer have a color bar with a slider instead of having to fiddle around in separate color channels.

I will do a lot more B/W from now on and I saved 199 €.

BTW - I found out something else. Greyscale is also a color space not understood by non-colorspace-aware applications. I always thought this only concerns sRGB vs the other RGB (and CMYK) modes. Anyway, an image converted to greyscale appears much darker than a B/W left in sRGB.

Example (D3, 85/1.4D, 1/2000, f/2.0, ISO 1600):

Original

original.jpg

B/W in sRGB

original.jpg

B/W in "greyscale"

original.jpg

Cheers

2. Tom, I know that, but I was not aware until recently that the B/W filter in NX is so powerful :smile:

I did not complain about the darkness, I just noted that one and the same image turns out darker in IE after it has been converted to greyscale. I do not see the difference in PS because PS is aware of color space.

I have not looked for that option yet, but is it possible to convert an image to greyscale already in NX2?
    Usually I would not mind whether I have a B/W in sRGB or greyscale but the latter has much smaller files :smile:

Cheers