Lovebug Solution

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Jun 8, 2007.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    We've been covered up with Lovebugs and our cars have been plastered with them up until this week. The bad thing is that unless you get them off right away the acid from the bug eats the car paint and does big damage.

So I went out one day with a bottle of 'Windex with Vinegar' and they came right off...Just thought I'd pass that along for any of you with the Lovebug problem. It's a good 'solution' for me and my bugs.

For What It's Worth :smile:

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    That is one of the things I don't miss about Florida, the bugs!

3. Good tip. i'll be sure to try it out on my motorhome after my return trip from Disney. Those love bug just love to hang out onthe Turnpike. :smile:

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    It may be just the vinegar that is doing the job. I just don't know because I used the Windex with Vinegar......however, next year when the dern bugs return I'll try a bucket of vinegar and water. If that doesn't work I'll use the Windex product. I'm noticing that the bugs are few now so hope they're done for this spring. I read that they come back in September.However, I'm pretty far south so they're probably still farther north.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gaye :

Great idea about the vinegar ! Make sure you wash it off as well, because acetic acid, while not a strong acid, is an acid nonetheless... :wink:

Another good suggestion for bugs in general on windshields is to use warm water (about bath temperature) with a plastic dobbie scrubber on the windshield. I find about a quart of warm water works wonders with this approach, and even removes the bugs that have been baked on and dessicated by the summer sun (worked a treat in southern Utah for me recently).

And the cicadas are making their clarion call to me from outside here in New Mexico...

John P.