Lovin' the HP5+

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Snipps, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    So I have been shooting Tri-X, but today I developed my first roll of HP5. WOW! The negs look soo much better. Sortry don't have any samples to post right now, but the negs looked really sweet.

2. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Good to hear. Post some samples soon!

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't know why, but I've always hated HP5. The way I hate the Mets, ya know? It's got too much contrast for my development style - edges look like have USM built in! While I find Ilford's t-grain films to be superb, none of their traditional grain films please my aesthetic. With Kodak, it's just the opposite.

It must be the way I shake the can.

4. It'd be a dull old world if we all like dthe same thing :)

I love HP5+, but then I like a nice contrasty photo (in my own work);
    464426283_20294f46ed.
    Canon Canonet QL19 GIII,
    Ilford HP5+
    Ilford Ilfotec LC29 (1+29), 9mins @ 20°c, 4 inversions each minute

(hopefully I've not posted that one on here before).

More recently I've seen some night shots taken on HP5+ pushed to 1600 - those looked superb, so I'll be looking to try some of that myself at some point.

5. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    yeah... the short experience I've had with HP5 was a very positive one. Once I end my experimenting with APX100, I'll probably move on to HP5.
    And on a similar note, I once pushed FP4 to 400 (that was before I learnt you are not supposed to do that...) and I got some VERY nice results almos absurdly high contrast!! (which btw I usually love).

6. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    Shot my first roll of Delta 100 today, gonna process it tomorrow morning. I printed a really cool shot from my HP5 roll today, gonna try and bring it home(not really supposed to) tomorrow o scan and then bring it back.

7. JoeG

JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    lol, I love the "private fishing" photo!