1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Loving the 300mm AF-s

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Spectre, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Well last week I got the 300mm AF-s, I have been out a few times with it and so far... and I love it. Next step is some extension tubes or a TC for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any opinions?

2. Great shots. I picked up a mint used copy of the 300 2.8 AF-S last year. By far, it is my favorite lens. It works well with the 1.4,1.7, and even the 2.0 Nikon TCs. You may also want to get a set of the Kenko extension tubes for your dragonfly shots. You won't be disappointed.

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Rich,
    I have been looking at extension tubes, and TC's. Due to cost, tubes will probably be my next "toy" in the toybox. I can wait a bit for the TC.... when I do get one, it will more than likely be the 1.4

4. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Is this the f/4 or the f/2.8?
    I want to shoot dragon flies this summer and I don't think my 105mm macro is going to cut it on fx format. I either have to upgrade to the 200mm macro or get a 300mm with extension tube.
    I've tried a buddy's 300mm f/4 with a 1.4tc last night and I liked the resulting images.

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I was using the 105mm, but I had no real working distance, and that was on DX format... I am using the 300 f/4, without tubes or TC now on my D300 and the images here are the result.

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I can see why you're loving it! Those are great, man!

7. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Those are really excellent photos.

8. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Francis,
    Thanks, it's a great lens... I haven't taken it off my camera since I got it.

Leif, Thank you.

9. I agree, I am amazed at how sharp it is at F4, I rarely use it with the 1.4x TC anymore, I just found that on the D200 or D300, I could see the resolution drop too much to make it worth the trouble. (And Focus would hunt sometimes aswell)

I use it for sports, wildlife and macro work (I'm not a huge macro fan but its close focus is really nice when I see an opportunity)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.