Loving the 300mm AF-s

Well last week I got the 300mm AF-s, I have been out a few times with it and so far... and I love it. Next step is some extension tubes or a TC for it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Any opinions?

Great shots. I picked up a mint used copy of the 300 2.8 AF-S last year. By far, it is my favorite lens. It works well with the 1.4,1.7, and even the 2.0 Nikon TCs. You may also want to get a set of the Kenko extension tubes for your dragonfly shots. You won't be disappointed.

Rich,
I have been looking at extension tubes, and TC's. Due to cost, tubes will probably be my next "toy" in the toybox. I can wait a bit for the TC.... when I do get one, it will more than likely be the 1.4

Is this the f/4 or the f/2.8?
I want to shoot dragon flies this summer and I don't think my 105mm macro is going to cut it on fx format. I either have to upgrade to the 200mm macro or get a 300mm with extension tube.
I've tried a buddy's 300mm f/4 with a 1.4tc last night and I liked the resulting images.

Is this the f/4 or the f/2.8?
I want to shoot dragon flies this summer and I don't think my 105mm macro is going to cut it on fx format. I either have to upgrade to the 200mm macro or get a 300mm with extension tube.
I've tried a buddy's 300mm f/4 with a 1.4tc last night and I liked the resulting images.
I was using the 105mm, but I had no real working distance, and that was on DX format... I am using the 300 f/4, without tubes or TC now on my D300 and the images here are the result.

I agree, I am amazed at how sharp it is at F4, I rarely use it with the 1.4x TC anymore, I just found that on the D200 or D300, I could see the resolution drop too much to make it worth the trouble. (And Focus would hunt sometimes aswell)

I use it for sports, wildlife and macro work (I'm not a huge macro fan but its close focus is really nice when I see an opportunity)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom