1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Loving the Nikon 300mm 2.8 DII

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by PLPhoto, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I've only used this lens a few times since I got it Saturday, but all I can say is WOW!

Super fast AF and tracking subjects in "C" AF is incredible. I shot some youth football on Sunday in the rain and this thing rarely skipped a beat. Out of 9 continuous frames, all were in focus.

Sharp, man is this thing sharp!

Haven't used it with the 1.4TC yet, but I plan on it this weekend with more youth football.

I normally don't like shooting anything above ISO 200 on the D200 because of how poor it handles noise, but I found my ISO 800 shots from the game were the best I've ever seen. I didn't realize until I got home how well they looked and wished I had pushed it higher for faster SS.

Stupid question, but can lens quality affect noise?

I even sat outside with my son the other day and took some shots of him playing around. I have to say, it was great because I could get some distance from him and just let him do his thing without getting in the way.

Here are a few from the game and my son, Morgan.

2903021659_ee5500c53f_o.

View attachment 261394

View attachment 261395

View attachment 261396

View attachment 261397

View attachment 261398

View attachment 261399

View attachment 261400

View attachment 261401

View attachment 261402

View attachment 261403

View attachment 261404

View attachment 261405

2. Nice shots. One thing that affects noise is exposure. The better the shot is exposed, the less noise you see. Only really becomes an issue in the underexposed shadows.

3. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    sooo glad you like it, you have the Nikon grin, I can see if from here !!

Some really nice shots in there for sure

4. Very nice shots. You're so lucky to have found an AF-S II. They're rarely available, and that probably speaks to their quality.

5. As you know I have the AFS-II vesion and love it a great series and as you get used to it you will continue to be amazed

6. Yep, the more you use it, the better you get at framing your shots. I struggle to use anything lighter, and smaller these days. Heck, I pick up my 70-200 with a pinky now. =(

7. wow Phil, great shots, congrats on joining the 300 Club.. :biggrin:

8. Phil,
    You know the new hardware may be helping, but it's YOU that makes these great shots you know. :smile:
    I've found that the 400mm is great for baseball and soccer, but with football it's just a little over kill unless I park it in the end zone and stay there. Knowing that I can see why you LOVE the 300mm.

Personally #4, 5, & 8 speak to me since they remind me of my days in junior football... WAY back in the day. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  9. Great shots. 5 & 12 favorites.

10. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I'm with Steve King. Nice aquisition, but it's you taking the pics! 3&11 are great!

11. LoL, let's not start that again! :biggrin:

Thanks Steve!

12. Thanks Medic. I knew about the exposure, I just wasn't sure if the glass assisted also.

Darren, I have a feeling it will remain there for some time.

Thanks Mike!

Thanks Mike!

I actually find it lighter than my Sigma 120-300. Not that I'll be using it hand held all day.

Thanks Chris! I did like the IQ and AF of the Sigma, but it's like night and day with the Nikon 300mm.

Thanks!

Thanks Tim!

13. photojedi

photojedi

Sep 25, 2008
    NH
    how about when we are shooting at the games i just wear a t-shirt that says photo assistant on it? great shots!!

14. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Nice shots Phil. Love the candids of the boys.

15. These look great!

Did you sell your 120-300 to put some money toward this new glass?

I'm finding that I'm wanting a bit more out of the focus on my 120-300, but financially can't swing for a 300 2.8 from Nikon. I guess that's what lust is for!

16. Great shots... I need this lens but can't find it anywhere... argh...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.