Low key attempt

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Was in the mood the other day to practise my low key portraiture. Used an SB-800 for the fill at camera axis position with a shoot-thru umbrella. The main light was an SB-600 through a brolly box 45* (+/-) camera right. Used a black cloth backdrop and no hairlight.

Shot manual 1/125 @ f10 using the D2x and 85/f1.4.

Postprocessing included skin retouching and a slight vignette and saving for web. Left double catchlights in intentionally though may remove them based on comments prior to printing.

Comments, critiques are welcome. Hope to fix any obvious, glaring errors as I need to shoot my wife and her business partner for promotional literature and plan to do a similar type shot.

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shot Kevin. I like that alot. They should be thrilled.

Double catch lights are distracting. :>)))

Thinking about it. Is there a way to avoid that. Serious question.

3. Thanks, Gale! I don't know of a way to avoid them...just clone them out. Everything I've read says they should be there and should be watched for to ensure light is hitting the eyes properly. They don't really bother me but I'll probably take one out before it's all over with. :smile:

4. Kevin...I heard the same thing you did that catchlights are good and I agree. I think the picture looks better with them.

5. Wow, excellent pertrait Kevin!
    Thanks for posting and the explanation of your set-up.

6. papa85

papa85 Guest

Great portrait Wonderful models.

Hi Kevin,
    Love that shot, what a beautiful couple. I took the liberty of changing the catch-light to one and also opened up her Left eye (lazy eye very common ) I personally do not mind double catch-lights.
    Keep them coming great exposure
    [​IMG]

7. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Kevin, Overall this is a nice shot! I have no issues with the double catchlights, A couple of things I would have done different would be to raise the camera up a bit I feel like I'm looking up at them. Did you whiten the teeth? if so the gents bottom teeth need it to, if not the gents bottom teeth might need a bit to even out the smile.

Dan

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful capture, Kev. I really like the lighting and the skin tones are wonderful. Very nicely done!

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I really like it.. Great looking couple.

10. I think they look great. The only comment I would make is below her neck line her skin tone seems a little grey to me - is that the vignette effect?

11. Hi Melissa, yeah catchlights are necessary but I think I'm going to lose the 2nd one ultimately.

12. Thanks Frits! I included the information (basic) in case anyone's interested. I started paying attention to that kind of info posted by others and tried to apply it when I can. Hope it can help others.

13. Thanks, Tony! The girl is my 15 yr old daughter and the gent is her boyfriend. He came over to spend Thanksgiving with us so I volunteered their services. :wink:

My daughter's eye seems lazy only when she smiles. She's got one of those squinty kinds of smiles. Not sure if I'll "open" it up or not. May give it a whirl and see how it looks.

I've got some more portraits to post...just wanted to "test the waters" :wink:

14. Thanks for the comments, Dan! I think that's one of my biggest downfalls. I know about camera angle but I never seem to really pay much attention to it while shooting. Only afterwards! Have to make myself a sticky and keep it on my camera. :smile:

As for the teeth whitening. I had to go back to the original to look more closely. It seems one of his bottom teeth is set back which is causing a shadow under his front teeth. I only slightly manipulated one of his front teeth as it has a bright white spot on it. Overall, the top/bottom teeth are similar. My daughter's teeth just had their braces removed and she's been whitening them so not much need for touch up there. Skin? Now that's a different story! :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll keep your comment in mind next time!

15. Thanks Frank and Dave! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

16. Hi Phil! Yes, what you are noticing is an effect from the vignette. I found a new technique and I'm not sure I'm really liking it. Especially on these black background shots. On the original there's still detail in his shirt but it appears gone in this sample. I'm still trying to get the hang of the whole vignette thing. :smile:

17. I really like the portrait. I agree with whoever above said her skin looks a little grey below the neckline and about the camera angle being slightly off. But overall I give the portrait high marks!

18. Appreciate the kind words, Justin! I'll pay attention to the angle as I move forward. Probably need to revisit the vignette as well. Thanks for looking and commenting!

19. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Very nice portrait shot!!

20. Thanks Rathika! I showed the shot to the guy's mother and not only does she now have it as he computer wallpaper but she also wants an enlargement for her home. Funny how things work out and this was just a practise shot!