1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Low light in the marsh

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jryoung1947, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I am trying to decide if I want this lens. It is the Sigma 150-500. I need something I can carry around on my walks. It is better than my 70-300 vr and the AFS300 with 1.4 was not quite as good either (especially focus). It is pretty soft compared to my AIS400 f/2.8 which it should be. The autofocus is excellent and fast even on a cloudy day like today. It is relatively easy to hand hold. LOL the VR (OS for sigma) sounds so tinny, it is very loud with an odd noise but it works. It was not on for this shot.

Following that killer shot with the 600vr takes guts.

Camera: Nikon D700
    Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
    Aperture: f/9
    Focal Length: 450 mm
    ISO Speed: 3200
    Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

2903935855_7a4380f37f_b.

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    John, this shot is actually pretty good for the conditions. Was this on a tripod/monopod?

3. I am very happy with mine the focus speed and sharpness are both very good, as I shoot 95% of the time on a tripod or monopod I shoot with the OS turned off. Its a great walk in the woods lens and while I would like a 500 or 600 Nikkor lens I just can't justify the cost.

4. It was hand held. This is from a boardwalk about a yard wide. It is not AIS 400 territory. I can get pictures I never could before but I am spoiled by my old 400. I got paranoid today and pulled out my 70-300VR. It would be terrible if it took better shots but the Sigma is much better. The D700 is the best thing I ever owned but I think the 1.0 factor hurts a bit for bird shots.

Thanks for looking.

5. That is exactly why I bought mine. The focus speed surprised me. Tracking Canada Geese was pretty easy. I bought my AIS400 for only a bit more and it is wonderful just not mobile. I have an old Tamron (I think) 1.7. Used with MF on the Sigma it is excellent. Thanks for the comments. If you want you can look at my link to see if my results are close to yours. I never even thought about good or bad copies until I joined the Cafe but it makes sense to compare.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/johns60/sets/72157607616031968/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.