Lower Antelope Canyon (SW trip pt. 4)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JeffKohn, Aug 7, 2007.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Another gallery from our trip, this one's from Lower Antelope Canyon. This gallery didn't take me quite as long, partly because I didn't have to do any pano stitching, and partly because there weren't many candidates for keepers. :smile:

We decided to visit the lower canyon; partly to avoid the crowds at upper, and partly because shooting in the morning fit our schedule better as opposed to waiting for midday to shoot under optimal conditions for the upper canyon. The lower canyon has a different feel to it; the canyon walls aren't as high and the passageways seem to be a bit more narrow. So rather than trying to reproduce the type of shots I've seen from the upper canyon, I decided to focus more on textures, lines, and the interplay between light and shadow. To do this, I felt that monochrome was the way to go.

This is something a bit different for me, so I'm pretty curious how these will go over with folks. As always, comment/critiques/feedback welcome.

Passageway
    original.

Wave
    original.

Vortex
    original.

Gateway
    original.

Cascade
    original.

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jeff, I think this is my first time viewing the locale in BW, I might have seen it done that way before, but If I did I don't rememeber it.

all I can say now is that I will definitely try to convert some images when I go there for my shots. I like how because of the lack of color and worrying about color, the lines and shapes and flow of the images does seem to garner greater emphasis. I like it , I really do.

Wade

ps, partial to Vortex and Gateway with Gateway being my fav.

and I liked your BW panos too - very nice!

3. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Jeff-

I am no expert but these really work for me. I would go along with Wade and say that the absence of color forces one to concentrate on the lines and flow of the image. To that end I think Wave and Gateway are the most visually striking. Nice, original work. Thanks for sharing.

4. You've done a great job on these, Jeff. I think you know I've become a fan of your work. You've used long exposures well here to bring out the textures with nice detail. Now having said that, I do admit I prefer color shots of the Antelope. The lower canyon provides an opportunity to try and get different colors than you get in the upper... more blues and purples as opposed to oranges. You can even "play" around with this some in RAW, by dialing down your color temp to see what happens.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jeff :

Well, I'm highly impressed (and I don't say that often).

You've really taken a personal vision of an almost overshot location, and given it over to view for others. Like Wade, I don't believe that I've seen anything of Antelope (Upper or Lower) Canyon done quite like this in B&W.

The texture, the light, the entire set of these are simply first rate. First rate.

Kudos, sir, and a respectful bow from me towards you and your work.

John P.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wade and Scott, thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate the feedback.

David - thanks for the honest feedback, I appreciate it. I can understand where you're coming from; I've seen some amazing color images from both canyons and will likely shoot for color on a future visit. I can't exactly explain why, but that just wasn't the way I saw the canyon on this visit. I knew from the start I was going to go monochrome with these.

John - thank you for the kind words. I felt like I was taking somewhat of a risk with these, as they're not only different from what I usually shoot but also different from what people tend to expect from this location. So to hear praise such as yours is very rewarding.

7. Absolutely spectacular shooting Jeff. Definite "Oscar" material in your work.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    In the past, I wasn't a huge fan of Black & White. I'm being "converted"!!

These are spectacular.

9. Jeff

New look to an "old" site. Maybe you saw that this was mostly about texture / pattern / shades versus color.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jeff :

Yes, a risk, but that's exactly why so many of us are photographers, to take risks and accomplish new things. Otherwise, instead of "Always shoot" as my tagline, I'd say, "Why bother ?" Risks also mean failures sometimes, it goes with the effort, but the successes are so much greater when the risks are higher.

Put it this way to you - I'd be proud to hang a copy of Vortex or Gateway on my wall.

John P.

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nick and Terri - thanks for the kind words, I appreciate the feedback (bad pun though, Terri :wink: :smile:)

Dan - thanks. you're right, line and texture was definitely what I was trying to emphasize with this.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I agree. As I've gotten more proficient at the technical side of things over the last year or two, the real challenge for me has been to push myself creatively; and while the art side of photography doesn't come as easily as the craft for me, it's that much more rewarding when I make those little steps of progress.

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  13. Jeff, these are wonderful. I don't have a favorite because they are all very good. You did a great BW conversion

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for looking Douglas, I appreciate the comments.

15. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Boy Jeff, these really turned out nice.
    Love the tone instead of straight B & W ,also like the texture & lines .

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Biggs, I appreciate it.

17. Vortex all the way for me. These are fantastic, and such a departure from the more classic color images. Kudos, sir!

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Philippe, I appreciate the feedback.