1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

lowland gorillas

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by mrlimpet, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    the gorillas at the san francisco zoo are some of my favorite practice subjects.

1. a partial view of their exhibit and the entrance to their night quarters on the right...

nc009-18-90-200-320.

2. the no. 2 male...

nc23628063125200.

3. the no. 2 male lounging on a tree stump with one of the females...

nc018-140-56-160-200.

4. the no. 1 male silverback peeking out from the night quarters...

nc030-200-50-160-200.

5. ho hum!

6. i feel sorry for them. they're obviously bored...

i'd appreciate any/all tips to improve my shots of these gentle giants. thanks.

2. chandler

chandler

Oct 21, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You have nicely captured their emotions...they are almost humans...

3. Nice shots of some of the most magnificent primates I've ever seen in real life (although that were highland mountain gorillas).

It could be the uncalibrated monitor I'm using right now but the shots seem a bit dull in color.

4. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    thank you raj and kees. i find them difficult to expose properly, especially on sunny days.

5. I think those shots are GREAT!
    Those are really, really, really nice.

6. Exactly! I always hope for light cloud when I visit a zoo with gorillas, otherwise their eyes just disappear into the shadows below their eye-ridges.

Alan

7. I experience this photographing my black dog.:biggrin:

8. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    thanks greg, and thanks for sharing that article. that's going a bit far imo!

thanks rebecca and alan, they're magnificent creatures aren't they?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.