LR (1 or 2) and sharpening

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by eddy, Oct 4, 2008.

1. eddy

eddy Guest

Hi,

I've been talking with AdmaJ about LR against LR, and he seemed to be happy of what he's getting of LR while, on sharpening, I'm clearly not for my RAWs.

The one thing that's not clear for me are this "Detail" and "Masking" parameters. One CS 3 and Capture One, there is a "Threshold" instead as you can see below :
    LR : Sharpening -> Amount, Radius, Detail, Masking

CS 3 : Unsharp Mask ->Amount, Radius, Threshold

Capture One : Sharpening -> Amount, Radius, Threshold

So how are you using this Sharpening thing on LR for your RAWs compared to CO and CS 3 ? 'Cause I'm never really satisfied of what I get from LR on this point.

Eddy

2. Eddy, I will take a try at this, bear in mind, I'm learning this stuff to.

Number 1, LR sharpens on the Luminance channel.

The amount slider is pretty well self explanitory.

With the radius slider or Halo width, a lower number is going to have a greater effect on fine detail items such as architecture or landscapes that have lots of lines or square images, keeping it less than 1.0 AND a higher number is going to have a greater effect on facial features, eyes, pupils, and used more for portraits and used at a setting of more that 1.0.

The detail slider will let you adjust how much of the raduis slide or Halo width will show through.

The masking slider is used to protect the areas you don't want to have sharpened. 0 settings lets everthing through while increasing it will start to suppress the sharpening. In other words you take a shot of a face and concetrate on the eye, you set your other three settings to your liking and leave masking to 0 to leave the whole face sharpened, or you increase you mask and tone down the sharpening on the face, the smoother areas, but it still keeps the eyelids, pupil and lashes sharp, the edge areas.

I hope some of this makes sense. This information is from what I am reading in Martin Evenings book, which he breaks down in more detail than what I just wrote.

Also, these setting need to be done at 1:1 zoom and by holding down the alt key to see where you are making the sharpening adjustments.

I stand corrected and someone with more knowledge of this than I have is welcome to chime in.

George.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.