LR: One big catalog or several smaller catalogs?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Broyer, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Any downside to having one large catalog for all my photos or is it preferred to have several catalogs such as:

commercial
    Family
    Weddings
    Nature & Art

I like the idea of one big catalog with sub folders but suspect it might begin to slow to a crawl.

Any insight into catalog structure is appreciated.

Tim

2. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    bump anyone? I'm currently trying one big catalog at this point.

3. What I did

I definitely did not want my family stuff showing up every time I ran a search in my stock album, so I have created a catalog just for family, which resides on a drive dedicated to that catalog (and some other stuff).

My main catalog is my paid jobs for the year. It is a removable drive that, at the end of the year, will be replaced by another one for 2008. At that point, I'll create a new catalog for 2008 work.

A third catalog is stock. This is dedicated to another removeable drive. Since some of family and paid job work will qualify for stock, I will move those appropriate files to those other drives/catalogs as needed.

I'm only a month into this, so I can't say it's a proven method. But it is working thus far.

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Interesting solution Carl. I think it's wise to take advantage of those catalogs in LR 1.1 I might just spend all night trying to sort my photos out ...:biggrin:

PS Tim I PMd you about the fisheye !!

5. Julien, there seems to be issues with large catalogs, so I suggest smaller ones at this stage. It may be dependent on your system though.
    I use smaller ones as it is easier and maintains another level of organisation.

Cheers