1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

LR Plugin for Smug Mug Users

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by keith5523, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Or is that a Smug Mug plugin for LR users? Anyway...

Does the plugin just work within LR and save a few steps, or does it connect quicker, load faster, jump over tall buildings...just what are the benefits.

I use a 'mogrify' plugin that has several functions and I enjoy it, but I have to go back to the mother site and re-download and re-contribute on occassion. That can be annoying but I like the plugin. I've communicated with the creator and it seems that I'm the only one with the problem, so I'll just live with that one, but not sure I want any more plugins that require a lot of maintenance.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    It's a pretty nice plugin...you can create new galleries, where they go, etc. Give it a try.

3. StinkyD

StinkyD

Nov 29, 2008
    Utah
    I like it. Give it a try.

4. Jeffrey Friedl has some really good plug-ins. I'm not sure how much they cost but believe it is not very much.
    Check them out here: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies

I use some and do recommend them.:smile:

5. Geoff, thanks for the link...I will give it a try. I gauge from my lack of responses that there aren't a great deal to choose from.

Thanks again.

6. I love my smugmug exporter. I use it all the time.

7. I have both that, and Star*Explorer, and without a doubt -- prefer the LR Plugin for single galleries to upload.

8. A question about what the LR - Smugmug PlugIn does.

Does it automatically convert NEFs to JPGs and place them into the gallery that you specify? What resolution is the file that's sent to SmugMug?

And if the answer is "full" resolution, exactly what does that mean in terms of DPI? For example, Mogrify asks you to input the resolution in DPI. There is no option called "full", so I'm wondering what "full" equates to when converting a NEF to JPG.

Thanks!

9. Yes, exporting JPEGs from Lightroom means converting NEF files to JPEG. You control the resolution parameter, as well as other things (compression, naming, etc...) in the export dialog, just as you normally do to export JPEGs. :wink:

10. Thanks for that, Philippe. I just uploaded my first test image and it seems to be working properly.

One question though -- At what DPI do you upload your images? I want full resolution, but the plug-in asks me to input a numerical value for resolution.

Thanks!

11. It depends on your camera. Simply read the specifications and put in the larger number that match, eg 4288x4288 for the D90 and D300, so that regardless of the orientation, landscape or portrait, the image fits into that square. :wink: This assumes that your images haven't been cropped.

I personally don't upload full resolution images, so I put in 800x800.

12. Once again, thanks for the info. However, I'm still a bit confused re: resolution with regard to Smugmug. If I want to eventually sell prints, I obviously want them to be at the highest resolution possible. However, my thumbnails on the Smugmug site don't need to be at a high resolution. So, should I be uploading at a high resolution or not? In other words does the Smugmug Exporting plug-in specify the thumbnail resolution or the actual resolution of the image that someone might want a print of?

Thanks again.

13. The resolution you specify in the plugin dialog (or the regular export dialog for that matter) is the largest size you want smugmug to display or print. All intermediate sizes as well as the thumbnails are generated by Smugmug from the uploaded files. You can restrict the sizes (i.e. resolution) available for display to something less than the uploaded files, so that people cannot grab full-sized screen shots while allowing full size prints.

I don't do prints via Smugmug, and I don't sell any either, so I make my "original" size 800x800 (whatever fits into that square, both portrait and landscape) and upload that.

14. Question about Optimal "Image Sizing" Settings for Uploading

Thanks again, Phillippe. Perhaps you can help with a question about a specific print size? (I submitted this question in another thread about Smugmug, but got no responses. I think that it fits into this thread better, though, since it involves the LR plug-in....)

When I started setting up my galleries (using LR2's Smugmug Plug-in) I arbitrarily limited the size of the uploaded images to 1800 pixels on the long edge. But that limited my print sizes available to 4x6.

At this point, I want to offer most of my images for sale up to 16x20 print size. Not knowing what the pixel settings should be for this print size, I started uploading images set at full size (NEFs) thru the plug-in's Image Size section. (In other words, I've left "Resize to fit" unchecked.) While this allows for printing large sizes, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to upload an image. I eventually plan to offer panoramic prints for sale up to 12x30, as well.

Can you recommend a specific size (other than full-size) for uploading my images (measured in pixels on the long edge) to use in the plug-in, in order to be able to offer them for sale at up to 16x20? How about for panoramic files to be printed up to 12x30?

I'm trying to arrive at the "sweet spot" for uploading file size to be large enough for these print sizes, while minimizing upload times.

P.S.: I just had a thought -- Longest edge (in inches) x dpi (that I set in the plug-in) should give me my answer, right? In other words, a 16x20's longest edge is 20 inches. If dpi is set to 300, longest edge should be set to at least 20x300 or 6000, right? If so, I guess that begs the question -- What should dpi be set at to allow for a good print?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.!

Thanks!

15. Bert,

"Acceptable" dpi (or ppi to be more precise) should be around 200, where "acceptable" is a subjective concept. Going down to 150-180 can be pushing it, but may work well depending on the image and one's own acceptability criteria. Mpix's minimum ppi is 100.

Think of it the other way around for a second, too: your 12MP pixel size is about 2500x4000, right (give or take a little)? So, at 200ppi, the largest you could print is 4000/200 = 20". So, there is your answer to the full-size question! :smile:

If you have a smugmug pro account (which I don't), I understand that you can set a delay on the order to proof it, before it gets sent in for fulfillment, and you get a notification of the order being placed. You can use that feature and limit the size of all your uploads to 1800 pixels (i.e. good for 4x6" at 300ppi). Unless you plan on nearly all your orders to be for 16x20", why bother upload the full size? You can wait for the orders, receive the notices, and replace the images being ordered as 16x20" with the full-size resolution ones, and finally let the order proceed. For all the small-sized orders, you just let them proceed, unchanged. It's a bit cumbersome, granted, but it's the price you'd have to pay, if you don't want to upload all images at full size... Note, that a variant of this scheme for some folks is to not post-process images and only PP the ones that are being ordered, greatly reducing the amount of PP work that needs to be done.

16. So, what you're saying (Bear with me, please....) is that, assuming a dpi/ppi of 200, for a 16x20 print, a value of 4000pixels along the longest edge should be correct, right? (BTW -- I had been using a dpi value of 300 which, I guess, is overkill).

Regarding your thoughts on the Pro account -- You're right that I can set a delay before fulfillment (and that's what I indeed have done). However, I found that setting the upload size too small will result in showing only 4x6 prints being available to the customer, when I want larger sizes to be available as well. In other words, uploading at 1800 pixels/200 dpi would result in a long side of only 9 inches. This means that only 4x6 and 5x7 would be shown as available, while 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 (for example) would show as "unavailable". So, I think that I need to go with 4000 pixels along the longest edge for images up to 16x20. (Images offered as panoramic prints would need a larger number, of course).

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.