LR6 Export Files

I'm just venturing into LR 6 (I usually use NX-D and PSCS5) and I import 300 dpi tiffs as processed by NX-D. When I Export the files after manipulation, they save as a 240 dpi jpeg. I'm assuming there is a setting somewhere that will allow the manipulated file to save (export) as the same size and format as the original? I thought I found it in Edit>Preferences but that change didn't have any effect.
While I like some of the features and end results, I'm finding the terminology to be difficult for me to translate, having used PS since the PS5.5 days.
Before anyone asks, I'm using a Win 7 machine and no, I refuse to "rent" PSCC.
TIA

If LR 6 is the same as current LR, been a while since I used 6. Right click on a image, click export, click export again, and a export settings box appears and there is a resolution setting where you can specify pixels per inch.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
"When I Export the files after manipulation, they save as a 240 dpi jpeg." Do you mean that after processing a file in NX-D you save the file as a 240 dpi jpeg? Do you also save the raw/.tiff version?

LR6 will import any .tiff, .jpg, .psd, raw file that you have saved into LR without changing it. The process of importing simply allows LR6 to know where the file is on your computer and to include it in the LR catalog. Once imported, you can also change it by using the Develop module.

LR is a very good tool.....but IMHO one that requires you to understand how if works before just jumping in. I highly recommend that you select a good training tool and go through it systematically to learn LR. If you go at it piece meal you will undoubtedly make mistakes that will complicate using LR.

Tim Grey is exceptionally good at explaining LR and his tutorials are available either on his website or Lynda.com.

I'm just venturing into LR 6 (I usually use NX-D and PSCS5) and I import 300 dpi tiffs as processed by NX-D. When I Export the files after manipulation, they save as a 240 dpi jpeg. I'm assuming there is a setting somewhere that will allow the manipulated file to save (export) as the same size and format as the original? I thought I found it in Edit>Preferences but that change didn't have any effect.
While I like some of the features and end results, I'm finding the terminology to be difficult for me to translate, having used PS since the PS5.5 days.
Before anyone asks, I'm using a Win 7 machine and no, I refuse to "rent" PSCC.
TIA
This is one of those "terminology confusion" areas. There is no need to "save" the "manipulated file". Those manipulations are just "instructions" stored in the database and applied when the image preview is viewed within Lightroom or when the edited image is exported to some "final" form". The original file is not "manipulated".

Also export ≠ save. The only time you need to export is when you need to create a copy of the image, with edits, in some final form, for instance jpg.

"When I Export the files after manipulation, they save as a 240 dpi jpeg." Do you mean that after processing a file in NX-D you save the file as a 240 dpi jpeg? Do you also save the raw/.tiff version?

LR6 will import any .tiff, .jpg, .psd, raw file that you have saved into LR without changing it. The process of importing simply allows LR6 to know where the file is on your computer and to include it in the LR catalog. Once imported, you can also change it by using the Develop module.

LR is a very good tool.....but IMHO one that requires you to understand how if works before just jumping in. I highly recommend that you select a good training tool and go through it systematically to learn LR. If you go at it piece meal you will undoubtedly make mistakes that will complicate using LR.

Tim Grey is exceptionally good at explaining LR and his tutorials are available either on his website or Lynda.com.
After processing in NX-D the file is saved as a 300 dpi tiff. That is what I open in LR6. When I export a developed file from LR6 it is saved as a 240 dpi jpeg when I want it saved as a 300 dpi tiff.
I'll look into your suggestions, thanks.

This is one of those "terminology confusion" areas. There is no need to "save" the "manipulated file". Those manipulations are just "instructions" stored in the database and applied when the image preview is viewed within Lightroom or when the edited image is exported to some "final" form". The original file is not "manipulated".

Also export ≠ save. The only time you need to export is when you need to create a copy of the image, with edits, in some final form, for instance jpg.
Thanks, this is the big thing for me. I learned PS on my own, seemed intuitive. I can't understand why Adobe changed the labels on things that basically do the same things as those in PS. Guess I'm getting old, learning new tricks comes harder. Then again, I always liked HP calculators, the RPN format was much easier to grasp than the Texas Instruments approach.

In the Export dialog, use the Image Sizing box. BTW, why are you specifying DPI for the exported jpg? If you plan to print, your primary "size" metric is dimensional (pixels/inches/centimeters per one edge and then the aspect ratio). Each printer has its "best" dpi setting, usually set when you print (or the vendor of your choice prints) your image(s).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Doug, I just found that part of the menu, dumb me didn't scroll down! I just want the file output to match the input as I bring the image into PS for final adjustments. I can work in PS more efficiently but am starting to see that LR has some things that are easier to do there. I don't like working on jpegs and only do the final conversion if I'm posting to the net.
In any event, I have the subject issue solved and I appreciate the help and advice.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom