LR6 Upgrade vs. CC Subscription?

Ducky,
Ah, I thought I tried that - I'll look into that again - thanks!!
That said, LR sure speeds things up and I prefer editing in LR over PS for easy stuff.

EDIT: Duck is correct...All I needed was to update ACR and PS6 now opens D810 files. I thought I tried this but in the end it really doesn't matter as I prefer the Lightroom workflow .

Last edited:
Don't really need you making assumptions about what I did or did not use! There is no need to judge me or insult me just because I don't agree with you.

Well, Fred, in no way have I insulted you or judged you, and I find your insinuation of "just because I don't agree with you" quite strange, as I have no idea what we disagree about. You stated very clearly that there was only one reason to upgrade:
"Karen - having played with LR6 for a few hours, I would honestly say the only reason to upgrade from LR5.7 is if you need support for a new camera"
(bold emphasis is mine)

I pointed out that there is one feature I use which I find a good reason to upgrade, which you may not use:
"Then I would say that you must not make a lot of use of the Adjustment brush, and looked at all the additional things that are now supported, including gradients"

No "judgment" and certainly no "insult" we all use different features of products.

I don't think jumping to conclusions or making accusations is helpful, when a simple polite question would clear the air. Had you not posted this publically, I would not have responded publically.

I have in fact, watched several videos about the new LR6 features, including the adjustment brush. Yes, it can now do masking. BUT, when I need to do advanced edits on images it is much better for me to go into CS6 and used the power of layers and advanced masking tools for better results and IQ. Even most renowned advocates of LR admit that it is better to use LR for basic edits and use PS for complicated adjustments. Since I already have a tool.... CS6.... to do advanced editing, the update of the adjustment brush in LR is not important for me.

I'm pretty proficient in editing and don't shy away from complicated tasks. I simply prefer to use the tool that gives me the best and easiest results for my workflow.

There are several ways to accomplish a task, and just because folks have a different solutions to accomplish the task doesn't mean they don't understand or get acceptable results.

YMMV.....

Again, very well said. For reasons I simply cannot explain, since I know how brilliant and exceptional a person I am (oh, shame on me), I have never gotten along well with more complex selections and masking in PS. Not that I can't do it, my brain just goes into "I don't wanna" mode. Which is probably why I gravitated to NX2 control points early on and why I use NIK and OnOne now. I certainly agree with you that you have much finer control, and when I need that it is off to PS, my brain just has to shut up and toe the line.

It will be interesting to see if LR ever catches up fully in this area. You would think that since they are both Adobe products it might be possible. Then again, we are on LR6 ...... how long could it take?

I've been using LR since version 1.
This time around I decided to "rent" it.
It cost me 264 Brazilian Reais(1 year),that's less than 85US$.
Photoshop is a nice bonus.
Another bonus are the D4s/Df v2 profiles,that i converted to use with my D4(the "original" ones are plain awful).
All in all I'm quite happy.

I've been using LR since version 1.
This time around I decided to "rent" it.
It cost me 264 Brazilian Reais(1 year),that's less than 85US$.
Photoshop is a nice bonus.
Another bonus are the D4s/Df v2 profiles,that i converted to use with my D4(the "original" ones are plain awful).
All in all I'm quite happy.

Did you go through the Camera Profile creation process or just set your default settings to your liking? I have done the "default settings" bit for my cameras, but have not tried the Camera Profile method. While I find the "Adobe Standard" to be passable, I use Camera Neutral in my camera, and choosing that as my default starting point is something I prefer in LR. I think I'll start a thread on this topic.

Did you go through the Camera Profile creation process or just set your default settings to your liking? I have done the "default settings" bit for my cameras, but have not tried the Camera Profile method. While I find the "Adobe Standard" to be passable, I use Camera Neutral in my camera, and choosing that as my default starting point is something I prefer in LR. I think I'll start a thread on this topic.

??
Don't know if this is what you are asking,but this is what i did:
I took the v2 Camera profiles (.dcp) from the Df(the ones from the D4s also work) and used the dcpTool to change the camera identifier to D4.
Then i put those profiles on the custom profiles folder.
Now on the Camera Calibration tab i have the "old"(awful) profiles and the v2 profiles.

Bill,
Today I took a few photos and some have the v2 profiles available and some don't.

Any idea why that might be?

tia,
Cabin

Bill,
Today I took a few photos and some have the v2 profiles available and some don't.

Any idea why that might be?

tia,
Cabin

Not quite sure what you mean? How are you seeing the profiles? Is there a difference in the camera mode between the ones you can find and the ones you cannot?

??
I took the v2 Camera profiles (.dcp) from the Df(the ones from the D4s also work) and used the dcpTool to change the camera identifier to D4.
Now on the Camera Calibration tab i have the "old"(awful) profiles and the v2 profiles.
Francisco - Sorry to be dense but I don't understand the process that you are referring to in your post. Could you either elaborate or point me to a site that discusses this approach in more detail?

I should add that I'm just using camera standard with a few tweaks as my base profile and then making additional adjustments from there.

Not quite sure what you mean? How are you seeing the profiles? Is there a difference in the camera mode between the ones you can find and the ones you cannot?

Bill,
I figured it out.

The v2 profiles would only show up for a few D4s photo in Develop, Camera Calibration.

What I did to correct the issue was to copy the v2 Camera Profiles to Library, Application Support, Adobe, CameraRaw, CameraProfiles. Then the v2 profiles showed up.

Cabin

Cabin, glad you figured that out. I have never had issues, so never had to look through those folders. Now I have more info.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
??

Thanks Francisco! Nice tip.

Francisco - Sorry to be dense but I don't understand the process that you are referring to in your post. Could you either elaborate or point me to a site that discusses this approach in more detail?

I should add that I'm just using camera standard with a few tweaks as my base profile and then making additional adjustments from there.
Are you using a Mac computer?

Latest threads

Top Bottom