Lugging the big glass....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Steve and I went out at dawn to Bear Point. He used my 300 f4 with 1.4x and I used his 500 f4 on my new Gitzo 1325 and wimberley. On the drive, I borrowed his 70-200 with 1.7x.

On the way, I pulled over a few times for steve to get some Osprey perching on trees. It was very early, not much light. I got one that was on the drivers side from the seat, they spook if you get out:
    original.

Once in BP we saw that they no longer flood the right side with the mangrove swamps, which they do for mosquito control. This means the water level now goes up and down with the tide, and it was low tide. That means birds wading for fish. This shot is severely cropped and in low light, shot 400 iso at 1/125 sec at 500mm:
    original.
    this one not as cropped, but still cropped some:
    original.
    spooked some birds that were waking on the way:
    original.
    some didnt mind posing, must be trained by Flew:
    View attachment 17788
    We went to the deck that is tree top high, and while going there, heard this osprey screaming like I've never heard one before. To the point, I didnt think it was an osprey, but some other species. Seems he was quite happy with a recent catch, this shot was cropped A LOT, like 60-75%:
    original.
    We walked deeper into The Point, me lugging this monsta rig and steve lugging my 300 f4. Then went to the pier for some action where we saw some pelicans. I'll post them later, I've been pp'ng for hours. Then went back to the tree top deck and hung for a while. The light got hard, it was 9-9:30 and I hear and see a few osprey a hundred yards or so ahead circling, but I know they make circles and move. Sure enough, right to us. At one point they were directly overhead, but that big lens doesnt point straight upwards..
    View attachment 17790
    View attachment 17791
    original.
    original.
    View attachment 17794
    Now we head out and I have the 500 with 1.4x on by now, and we spot another well trained GBH, must be in from Alabama and trained by Flew:
    [​IMG]
    by then Steve has his 70-200 and I put on my trusty peashooter:
    original.

Drove Steve home, came home to take the rest of the wood off the windows from Wilma, and pp'd. Time for a nap...:Dizzy:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice images Harris.
    Bet Steve was thrilled :>)))

Looks like you had some cloud cover down there at times. Know how that is.

So how do you like the monster lens :>)

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like you guys had a pretty tough day. (We should all have such tough days. :rolleyes:)

Nice series Harris. :smile:

4. Hey there nice selection after a week or two with that big boy you will have your long glass technique down pat. What a nice variety

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very nice Harris! That BCNH and the Ospreys are cool. I hope I can "salvage" a few shots I took this morning. Ya know, handholding your 300 f4 +TC @420mm ain't that easy for an old man that drinks too much coffee in the morning!! :confused:

6. Thanks all!

Gale, yeah there was cloud cover early , then patches of sunlight. It was drizzling when we got there

Frank, it was tough, heavy rig. Then getting used to that big glass...:cool:

Steve, a few more weeks, we'll whip you into shape....:eek:

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    HA! If I don't keel over from this Bronchitis first! Calling the Internist first thing this AM. Ya, my shin muscles & calves are pretty tight right now. Really not used to much walking, esp at the pace YOU like to keep! I dunno how you do it with a tripod mounted 500 f4/D2h!

8. What a great series. Were the flight shots taken with your 300mm F/4 setup?

9. The flight shots were taken with the 500 f4. Thanks..

10. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hot dam thats what I need Birger :>)))))))

No birds practice yer golf shots :>)))))))

12. Harris,

I want to know if bird shooters use high shutter or shoot manual or aperture priority. I would imagine you shoot high speed since some of the birds fly so fast. Is this correct?

13. Harris, these are top notch. I always love to see your osprey pictures. The GBH in flight is terrifc as are all the others.

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey anytime you guys need a sherpa to carry that big glass give me a shout !!

all I asked is a few hours with the glass on my Hs :biggrin:
    well maybe some water and a power bar or two :wink: