Luka Merged

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by TCMony, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Alright, after posting the HDR merge portrait I decided to try to merge two images together and then erase the dark part over Luka. I know that there are many of you that know the right tools to make this look great so I am asking for your critique. There are many of you who have no problem tearing an image apart and some that have the knowledge but hold back. I appreciate those that are brutally honest, and those that are gentle with my photography I am asking you to tear this image apart and let me know what techniques you would do and were so that I may learn. I will not be offended just do not direct it at me. Thank you for your time.

2867924803_93393be94f_o.jpg

2. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    i have no intention of being crass, nor can i think of a delicate way to explain. i think it's a combination of the pose, lighting, fabric, etc ..her crotch seems very bulgy. i probably wouldn't have noticed it much, but there is a bright reflection on the street right next to it

3. That reflection between her lens is in a bad place. Wrinkles in the crotch area of her pants are not good either. I would clone that light in the open area in her arm/leg area.

4. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i have a question about the technique... i'm confused on why HDR is being used in the first place... or any sort of image stacking. if you're using flash, you can expose for the foreground and background independently without the use of stacking exposures.

5. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    You are correct except for when you blast the flash it really emphasizes the the sweet on the skin and I did not have an MUA to change that. I also stacked because the intensisty of the setting sun really over powered my flash setting. I could have used NX2 with the slightly underexposed image to retain the cloud but I am trying my stacking abilites in CS2. I am just trying to learn how to master photo editing on CS2 and NX2. Thank you for the comment.

Thanks to everyone who has commented it is helping me to see what I need to do and change. It is a good thing that this was not a paying client.

6. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    in full daylight, i will underexpose the background by a stop or two... (say iso 200 at f/22 200th/sec) and start out with 1/2 power flash as close as i can get it. if you have two flashes or 1 more powerful one. it can really help. no need for a MUA. if you dont mind me posting this. here is an example (there is a 2nd light providing a rim of sorts, but ignore that for now)

2390187633_732dccf9c0.jpg
    i hope this helps... and theres little or no processing done to this image.

7. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Thank you very much for posting this, I love to see examples of how to make my photography better. I did not even think about going manual flash, it is just one of those things I did not think of at the time. I should have but didn't. Thank you once again.

8. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    can someone explain or point me to an explanation of underexposing the background while using a flash. is this through the exposure lock button? not quite understanding the lingo..

9. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Ding ding ding we have a winner. That's exactly how you do it. Flash is your best friend on a day like that. Awesome job on that shot.