Luke-Go Cubbies

Discussion in 'People' started by ERAUGrad04, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    My 8 month old Nephew at the local Pork & Corn Roast a few weeks back. I played around with some selective color editing and I would like some honest feedback. Thanks for looking!

DSC_3421.jpg

Morgan

2. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Hey, Hey, Whata say, The Cubs are gonna to win today. Real nice capture.

3. Great! I realy like the coloring. What software did you use? Im a Cubs fan too! Hope this is the year for them! Valet at CBN

4. i like the way it turned out
    nice selective color

5. Go Cubbies! My wife and I are originally from Chicago and have spent many pleasant afternoons as kids at the friendly confines of Wrigley Field.

Shot looks a bit under exposed. I'd adjust the middle gamma a bit to pop it out.

6. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Thanks guys! I took the RAW file through Capture NX to adjust exposure and white balance, then ran it through PhotoShop Elements 6 for the selective color.

Rich- I am still learning the "Post Processing" process. For starters, what is the middle gamma and how would one adjust it? Thanks!!!!!

Morgan

7. There are a number of ways to do it.

- Increase the EV, however that can blow out highlights along with making the image "pop" more.

- Under the quick fix histogram click on the center triangular marker beneath the diagram and move it slowly to the right. You're effectively changing the mid point of the luminosity, pushing more of it into the shadow portion of the histogram. Plus you might want to adjust the contrast a bit after that.

Try both and see what suites you.

8. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Hey Rich-

Here is my humble attempt at some curve adjustments. But I do have a question. I achieved the brighter image by sliding the middle triangle to the left, not right. I noticed when I moved it right, the image got considerably darker. Are my findings correct? I tried bumping up the EV, but that quickly resulted in blown highlights on the shirt.

Thanks again for the help and I would greatly appreciate some additional critique on this second attempt.

DSC_3421-edit.jpg

9. Yes, as I mentioned the middle slider distributes the luminosity towards the darkness or light. I didn't think EV would do much, but sometimes it helps. I rarely use Photoshop so my reference is Capture NX 2. Your saturation looks good because the red in the Cubs emblem seems perfect however the child's complexion seems a bit bluish. I would experiment with the white balance and warm up the image.

As I mentioned I'm not the one to ask about the more sophisticated Photoshop techniques. In NX 2 I would use a color control point and experiment with the child's face trying d-lighting and saturation if WB adjustments didn't help. D-lighting would also help get some separation on his hat.