Luminar Export Handler

Having been bugged by the lack of export options in Luminar as mentioned here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/skylum-luminar-4.319478/post-4056911, I decided to write a little script to handle this leveraging a Mac Daemon.

The daemon runs a bash script that watches a folder and whenever certain files types are saved into that folder, it figures out their original folder from their name and moves them there. Depending on settings in the script, it can rename the file, create a subfolder and give options to overwrite or keep conflicting files in the destination.

Works for all versions of Luminar (I prefer Luminar 2018). Actually while targeted at Luminar, works with any other program as it will handle any *.JPEG/*.JPG/*.JP2, *.TIF/*.TIFF, *.PNG, *.PSD or *.PDF files in the target folder

So basically two files. One is a script file and the other is a Mac LaunchAgent plist file.
Package can be downloaded from my long neglected website: www.dakanji.com/creations

Astonishingly, Skylum, given their utter disregard for workflow basics as they push on with their quest for more one-click buttons and do-it-all sliders, somehow managed to get what is easily the best tightly coupled workflow in terms of tying into things like the Nik Collection, Topaz etc of the gaggle of competing software trying to get a share of the market.

I am working on another daemon that will allow using Luminar as a gateway to such plugins from other tools such as ON1 and DxO. The DxO angle is strange as Luminar couples better with Nik Collection than DxO itself who own the collection.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the need for this....? Am I missing something here? I've used both Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 and have had absolutely no problem in exporting to whatever destination I had in mind, whether it be within the same folder as the newly-edited file came from or simply out on the desktop or into another folder altogether.....

I've been using DxO PhotoLab 3 for the past several weeks now and like that program better than Luminar for many parts of the editing process; however, Luminar still beats it with the ease of the "erase" process, so sometimes I will edit an image in DxO and then export it to the desktop, file name unchanged, and then pull it into Luminar 3 and do the needful with the erasing process before again exporting -- this time renaming if I have a particular title in mind already -- to either the desktop again or to another folder.

Thanks for the note.

Obviously not for folks that are happy with the export/saving options they offer but I prefer to save directly to the same folder as my original image for instance Luminar does not offer this as an option.

Huh, I will have to pay more attention the next time I use Luminar 3, as I'm sure I've done that in the past, just gone ahead and exported/saved directly back to the original folder with the RAW images, and of course there is no conflict with the name since the edited image becomes a jpg rather than the original raw image (ARW in Sony).

Luminar pretty much gives you the last folder you happened to have last accessed in the software.
If you use LUTs beyond what comes with the program (I have several on my disk), you will get the LUT folder when you try to save and the folder you saved to when you want to browse LUTs for the next image.

Luminar Export Options (Pretty Basic)
LuminarExportOptions.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ON1 Export Options (Pretty Detailed - See "Location" and "Rename" Sections)

ON1ExportOptions.png

DxO Export Options (See "Destination" Section)

DxOExportOptions.png

What this script gives is similar capability as the DxO and ON1 ones combined.
You can select a to save to the original image folder, create an optional subfolder while at it and it also adds the "Rename" capability from ON1.

Ah, now I see the problem! Actually, yes, a couple of times in Luminar 3 I had not been paying attention and had hit the "save" button and then wondered where the heck the image went.....only to find it in another folder where I had not meant for it to go. After that I started to be more mindful and making sure that the destination was clearly set and where I wanted the item to go! I don't use LUTs so that hasn't been an issue but I can imagine that it would be very irritating having your edited images wind up in one of those folders rather than your actual planned destination.

I much prefer DxO PhotoLab 3's setup, where I can create a new subfolder if desired or just stick the newly-edited file back in with its mates in the original folder of RAW images.

The DxO and other properly configured ones are heads and shoulders above the frankly shocking offering from Skylum in this respect.
Having used their software for a whilethough they are at least consistent in that such workflow related items are always disregarded. Here is a request on this items from a couple of years ago: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360004006612-Export-location

A year ago: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360027852831-Request-for-Export-Option
A few days ago: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006709880-Quick-Access-for-Exports
Another: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360047525532-File-exporting-PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE-change-this
And Another: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360046135071-Save-Options

But it just would not happen. Track record shows that they just don't consider such things important. I suppose these don't sell software like a One-Click-Fix Button some talking head on YouTube with an affiliate link can demo.

Anyway, I gave up waiting and decided to fix for myself. I save into one single folder which is in the favourites in Finder and the script moves it to the correct location. Can create a subfolder also and as I like adding suffixes to ID the software I used on an image (option already in DxO, "_DXO" and ON1, "_ON1" and most other software ), it adds an "_LMR". All configurable in the script

Last edited:
Updated ... Headline change is inclusion of a Applescript generated One Click Installer for those with a phobia of Terminal.

Changelog:
v0.2.0 Beta 2 (16 Dec 2019)
- Changed main script file name to handler.sh
- Changed LaunchAgent plist file name to xyz.o1sr.ExportHandler.plist
- Changed core code location into a function in handler.sh for flexibility
- Changed misc variable names for clarity
- Removed need to edit plist file
- Added changelog file
- Added requirement to install into /Users/Shared
- Added auto Installer
- Added option to export to a static folder
- Updated documentation with typo fixes and updated installation information

Applescript is something I really love on Macs, you can write a little script and when saving, select the option to save as an application and you are good to go.

You read my mind!!! Yeah, I'm one who for some reason has a bit of a phobia about Terminal, which is really silly because for years I thought nothing of rummaging around in the Windows Registry and tinkering in there! That said, I have from time to time gone into Terminal for this or that reason but I tend to avoid it when I can!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
O'Reilly have a couple of good little books I can recommend that cover Terminal and more.
  1. Macintosh Terminal Pocket Guide - only 227 pages.
  2. Unix for OS/X - going deep with the terminal and shell. A good read.

Thanks, Richard! I really should pick up a copy of that and have it on hand just in case a situation comes up that requires I get into Terminal -- having read a thorough explanation of it and what it can and can't do and how my getting into it will not kill the machine would undoubtedly boost my confidence.....

As for Luminar 3, at this point I have no plans to move on to Luminar 4 and already my use of Luminar 3 has been reduced significantly to quick-and-dirty minor adjustments as opposed to doing full-out editing of images, but nonetheless this program that Dayo has developed does sound really intriguing and useful!

Last edited:
.. a bit of a phobia
You are not alone ... yet all the installer does is run the exact same terminal commands given in the README file to copy and paste!

As for Luminar 3, at this point I have no plans to move on to Luminar 4.
I actually mainly went back to Luminar 2018. I aslo use it as a jump off point into misc plugins for other tools.

I've still got Luminar 2018 installed on my 12" MacBook; never got around to installing Luminar 3 on that machine because I don't use it all that often for processing, just primarily reviewing images if I have shot them while on a trip and have some time to just look through my files since I do stash them in the machine as well as on an external drive for safekeeping anyway. Luminar 3 and Dx0 PhotoLab 3 are installed in my "main" machine, the 15" 2018 MBP.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom