1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lumiquest Promax 80/20

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by PLPhoto, Jul 29, 2009.

1. I've been reading Joe Mcnally's Hot Shoe Diaries and see he uses the Lumiquest 80/20 system quite a bit as well as a few other wedding photographers I follow.

Anyone have any experience with this system?

I prefer bounce flash and I do have the GFLS, but I was wondering if there was an easier more compact answer.

2. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Phil,

I have both and there is no doubt that the Lumiquest 80/20 is a lot easier to carry around, even if you carry around all the accessories. Plus, it does a reasonable job in most conditions and I don't think you "waste" as much light as you do with the Fong dome. My biggest problem with all Lumiquest products is that the "hooks" on their plastic that catch the velcro loops don't do a very good job, but another strap of some kind will solve this problem.

However, the Fong dome does give you very nice, soft light as long as your subject isn't too far away. Being as big as it is, though, I don't carry it around unless I know that I'm going to be using it.

3. Thanks Isamu!

I picked one up yesterday and set it up. The velcro is strong now, but I can definitely tell it won't last long. I'll look into a strap or rubber band.

I've only played with it a little, but I do like the results so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.