LumiQuest Softbox on SB800?

Up until recently, I've been using the sb800 on-camera. My technique for situations where I'm unable to use bounce flash (outdoors, or indoors with a dark ceiling) has been to use the diffuser dome, and tilt the flash up to about 45 degrees. The results are good, but I'm annoyed that I have to shoot half of my photons into outer space, since it causes the flash to work harder, and depletes its batteries faster.

I bought a CB Junior flash bracket last week, and added a LumiQuest mini-softbox today. It eats 1 1/4 stops of light, but it lets me aim directly at the subject without scorching them... at least that's the theory. Here's the rig in portrait orientation.

46850209.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I tried it out on Nancy today, shooting at 70mm from 4 feet away to give it a tough test. The result was encouraging.

View attachment 12803

I'm prime at a wedding Sunday, with the talented Philippe Roger as my backup, and hope my theory proves out. Wish me luck.

Frank, somehow I'm getting the feeling that you're turning into a prowedphotog... ;-)

The soft box is a great tool and the only solution if you ask me, but it eats a great amount of light especially if you work in distances bigger than 6 feet -and we will.

That means an external battery pack is must!

Hey I have one of those, I have the Mini Soft-Box also, it doesn't lose as much light and not as bulky, great for close up work, and a little trick I found out is you can angle them up and use the internal bounce for an even softer light, works great.

Martin

Real Name
Chris
Hey Frank - this is the first time I've seen a pic of your wife - she's fine! The look on her face says that she is used to you pointing that Beast at her.

And good luck at the wedding for sure, but you're getting to be quite the wedding pro, so I'm sure skill will replace luck nicely.

Chris101 said:
Hey Frank - this is the first time I've seen a pic of your wife - she's fine!

I'll pass on the compliment, but she'll probably kick my a$$ for posting that shot :-(. This one's a little dated, but she seems to like it better.

8683024.gif

D

dbirdsong

Uncle Frank said:
Chris101 said:

I'll pass on the compliment, but she'll probably kick my a$$ for posting that shot :-(. This one's a little dated, but she seems to like it better.

Wow...

Real Name
Chris
Uncle Frank said:
This one's a little dated, but she seems to like it better.

8683024.gif

Groovy.

I can almost hear Nancy Sinatra singing, "these boots are made for walk'in, and that's just what they'll do, one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you!"

Thanks for the Blast From The Past, Frank!!!

Uncle Frank said:
Chris101 said:

8683024.gif

Frank, she is a beautiful lady then and now

Latest threads

Top Bottom