Luna Moth

I've been finding a lot of wings this summer but never an entire moth. Found this one this morning when I went out to feed my horses.

luna11.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

luna21.jpg

luna3.jpg

Nice series Linda - I hope someday to be lucky enough to find one of these in the wild

their short life spans make it that much harder to catch them :(

Based on the climate in which they live, the Luna moths produce differing numbers of generations. In Canada and northern regions, they can live up to 7 days and will produce only one generation per year. These reach adulthood from early June to early July. In the northeastern United States around New Jersey or New York, the moths produce two generations each year. The first of these appear in April and May, and the second group can be seen approximately nine to eleven weeks later. In the southern United States, there can be as many as three generations. These are spaced every eight to ten weeks beginning in March.

nope not long at all :(

I guess we are lucky here to get three generations. I do see a lot of pieces of them in the mornings, but only a few whole insects. I have a light on at the barn that stays on all night and it attracts them.

I'm not sure about sexing them. Maybe someone else knows?
I'm not sure about sexing them either but it's still early.:wink:

found this.:

look at the antenna on the head. if its a male it will have large well developed antenna with lots of hairs on them to catch a whiff of the female pheromone. the female antenna would be plain whip like.

I would describe the female antenna is much narrower than the male anenna, but still rather feather-like in apperance.

glenn

i'd guess male from above

I'm not sure about sexing them either but it's still early.:wink:

found this.:

look at the antenna on the head. if its a male it will have large well developed antenna with lots of hairs on them to catch a whiff of the female pheromone. the female antenna would be plain whip like.

I would describe the female antenna is much narrower than the male antenna, but still rather feather-like in apperance.

glenn

i'd guess male from above

Thanks glenn, at my age I like to talk a lot about sex:smile: I thought I remember Harry or someone talking about the relationship of the antenna and the gender.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom