1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lunar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by warth man, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Collage from this morning's event. Most are sadly not sharp and my frozen brain hasn't worked out why yet. I'm assuming earth/moon movement but can see star movement too, albeit with exposures no more than four or five seconds, most less. I don't get that normally but have here. Any suggestions? I was out there for two hours and my coffee cup is still there, frozen to a slate table. More evidence of frozen brain.

46771389932_5c292db37d_c.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Moon Eclipse_01 by warth man, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Seems to be normal. The atmosphere is disturbing.
    I had the same problems last time...

Kind regards
    Klaus

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD

Mar 20, 2017
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Same here, disappointed myself...

moon1.jpg

4. How were you setting your focus? When I did photos of the solar eclipse, with one camera lens I used a 'manual' focus; but with the second I connected it to a computer to fine tune the exposure. The second camera was spot on, the first - not so much. Setting focus to infinity just did not work for me. Oh, cameras were D500s and 70-200 lens on first; 300mm on second. Having said night, atmospheric conditions could affect it as well.

5. Just come back to this. The camera was on a tripod, VR off and I used a remote release. There was no wind. I was initially using autofocus but changing settings manually. I then tried manual focus and at various times, live view using both autofocus and manual focus. I wondered if it might be shutter shock but then I've not had that before when shooting night sky. Camera was a D750 and the lens was the 300mm f4E PF with a 1.4 TC3 fitted.

6. Not the easiest thing to photograph. At least it wasn't bitter cold here at the house.

Full Blood Wolf Moon.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Hi All,

Focusing is a real problem when you are shooting the stars and a lunar eclipse. That said the biggest problem is the atmosphere, if it is not clear and still it will not give a good shot. Secondly, if the gear is warm and the night is cold you will have a "heat island" in your camera and the results will be less sharp than if you allowed the gear to cool first. I put my gear out prior to the start of the eclipse.

We had a very good sky for photography last night. The air was clear and the stars were not twinkling which is a good sign. The moon moves faster than the stars and so you cannot use long exposures without good tracking equipment. As for focusing I always use live view. During the eclipse the D850 was able to lock on before totality. I confirmed the focus with the stars that were visible with live view, and a zoom into a test shot. With the 70-200 F2.8 on the D850 I could use auto focus if I had the box cover the brighter edge of the moon. This is really impressive as the camera can focus better than I can.

So, with all that here is a shot from last night.

_AM11459-wolf blood moon flat@0,3x.jpg

D850 200-500 F5.6 at 500 mm 1/15 sec ISO 3200

When you look closely you can see a little smearing from the earth's motion in the stars.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"I couldn't stop howling last night... darn wolf blood moon" - Georgie Beagle

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks for that, Beagle Hounds. The night was clear here and I was outside, with gear, for nearly three hours. Both gear and owner had definitely "assumed the temperature." Your shot is a cracker. I think I'll play with live view a bit more and check this camera/lens combination. The 300 normally lives on my D7200 but I haven't noticed any probs before with daylight pics with it on the D750. Anyway, at least I saw it all - throughout, and my binoculars gave me great service. And I now have my coffee cup back.

9. It's kind of an odd thing to photograph. It's not like stars where you're shooting really wide so you can use longish shutter speeds. Using the 500 rule with a 500mm lens I knew that a 1 second shutter was as slow as I could go without blurring. From there it's just cranking the ISO until the exposure comes up. Focus is a challenge as well with the atmospheric haze.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That is a very good shot! I was planning to put my D5 on my Meade telescope (2000mm focal length) then mount my D500 and 70-200 on top; set the scope up for lunar tracking and see what would come. When I got home, our furnace went south and with the temperature in low single digits, I decided opening the door was not conducive to keeping what little hear we had left.... So all I have is what I took last time.... think anyone would notice the difference??? lol

11. You are probably right about ISO. I'll have to have another play with an "ordinary" moon.

12. Having just returned from Arizona to chilly Chicagoland, I wasn’t mentally prepared for the single-digit temperature, so I grabbed a few quick exposures and gave up before getting a money shot.
    0ABEB5A2-1998-4348-841B-FFF43F011C68.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.