1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Lunar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by acnomad, Jan 22, 2019.

1. It was a chilly night so I stayed out just long enough to grab this shot. (Heavily cropped and lightly processed in LR)
    19B_7022.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Nice shot, but it appears to be a little over processed (lots of dimples maybe from over sharpening)? Focusing on the moon or stars is not an easy thing to do, and atmosphere plays a large part in it. How did you go about focusing?

3. Thanks for those points. I probably tried a bit too hard to wring some more sharpness out of a soft image. I had a very clear, but very cold night, so while atmospheric interference was not a factor, my impatience might have been. I focused in live view, but, having forgotten my reading glasses and remote release cord, the softness may be from missed focus and/or camera vibration - possibly both. What tips would you offer for focusing on the moon?

4. I use a piece of software called BackyardNikon on a PC connected to the camera - then zoom in and use the SW to adjust the focus. The problem I have always found with hand focussing is to move the focus a very small amount - it is almost impossible.

Also, if you take multiple photos then use a piece of stacking software (free versions available) it will help a soft(er) image look sharper. Here is an example. This was about 10-12 photos of the moon that I stacked.

Moon.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. Very nice example of stacking. I had no idea that software existed that helps with focusing. I have never liked tethering, but it looks like there's a free trial, so I'll give it a whirl.

BTW, I just took a peek at your web site - great stuff!

6. Thanks! My astro stuff is kinda hidden - but if you are bored it is here

I was never a fan of tethering - but sometimes it is the only way to go.

It looks like we are neighbors - I live on the west side of St Charles.

7. Just sent you a PM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.