Lunch date

When skiing in Zermatt, Switzerland you have the ability to ski into Cervinia, Italy. This option was enticing to my family when we were there last week. It's a bit of a challenge, but the allure of eating some good pasta after skiing into Italy was enough to have us give it a try.

1. First take the Matterhorn Express gondola to the highest cable car station in Europe (3883m).
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Look carefully for the few signs pointing to Italy.

3. It's a 7km run down to Cervinia. This helps you earn your lunch.

4. Most of the restaurants are small chalets on the mountain. Some are quite fancy and require reservations. Lunch can often take 2 hours!
We chose a place with an outdoor deck and nice view of the Matterhorn.

5. My lunch was a delicious ravioli dish.

6. The key is to not miss the last lift to the top of Cervinia. If you are too late, you will be stuck in Italy for the night. We all needed a nap after lunch but still managed to ski our way back over into Switzerland and back down to the town of Zermatt seen below in the valley.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I don’t ski, so it’s an experience I’ll never have. I love the photos! Those iPhone photos hold their own alongside the DSLR photos!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I have only been there to those locations in the summer, love seeing them in winter. Great post Mitch!

great narrative and pics Mitch

so you skied with a D800e + 24-120 ? Backpack I guess
I ski or bike with a Lowepro Toploader 70. I wear the harness with the pack in front for easy access. Fits my D800e and any lens shorter than my 70-200mm, f2.8. I won't wear a backpack while skiing. Too nervous about getting on and off the lifts.

Brings back many memories, Cervinia my fav ski resort probably visited over 30 times and 17 successive Xmas New Years. if you stay in Cervinia the ski pass is valid in Chamonix and Zermatt, did a couple of hols in Zermatt but much preferred the Italian atmosphere.Looks like you were blessed with great conditions.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom