Lunch with Sea Lions and Kingfishers in Seattle

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Oct 21, 2005.

1. It was so nice today that a Co-worker and I decided to have lunch at the locks near Seattle. I had been told that the indians were putting their nets across by the fish ladders and that the Sea Lions were feeding on the salmon. When we arrived there was no activity. Then we walked over by the fish ladders and I saw two Belted Kingfishers. They were pretty active. I only had my 70-200 lens but I was able to get within ten feet or so from them. The light was not the best but still who can complain when they get this close!! After taking a few shots of them, the Sea Lions arrived. When they came up with a fish, the gulls would swarm them. All in all a great lunch hour. I hope to get some more pictures tomorrow.

To bad that they were not sitting on a branch, but you take what you can get.

original.

Then this guy started flapping his lip at the other Kingfisher.

View attachment 17163

View attachment 17164

View attachment 17165

View attachment 17166

View attachment 17167

View attachment 17168

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Jim
    these are great !!
    best Kingfisher shots I've seen to date

great exp. and color on them all !!

3. Thanks Ben. I was pretty happy to get this close. I am hopping to go again tomorrow and get some better light. They are active because of all the fish around now.

4. Jim,

Those Kingfisher shots are great! It seems to be a very difficult bird to shoot. I also like the feeding frenzy with the Gulls and the Sea Lion.

Bob

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,
    Now you are really making me ill, green with envy and I'm giving my camera away.

Beautiful stuff kiddo.

6. Very nice James. I have never photographed a Kingfisher and here you are right on top of one.

7. James, very cool shots. Can't wait to see more.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I have to agree that these are the best Kingfisher shots I've seen. The Sea Lions shots are excellent as well. I understand why you were so pleased.

I am amazed at the quality and variety of shots our members have come up with recently. I wish I could visit all of you, and shoot at these great places for a few weeks each. :biggrin:

9. I like them all. :smile: I wish it would stop raining here... :Sad: forget lens lust - I'm getting photo withdrawals...

Keep these pics coming!

10. Thanks guys. Frank I agree with you. It would be so fun to go around the world and meet all the members and shoot at all the great locations. I was lucky to get to shoot with Andreas last Saturday when he came down on his way to California. That is a big part of what makes this so fun.

Jim, we are having very unusual weather here in Seattle. It was 70 degrees yesterday and sunny. A welcome change from all the rain and dark days we have had lately. Thanks for looking.

11. Gale after seeing all your beautiful shots lately you have nothing to be envious about. I am going to meet Louis today to see if we can't get some flight shots. Now I would really be happy if I can.

12. I agree wit the others these are some of the best Kingfisher shots I have seen very nice. These are on the top of my list to capture

13. Kingfishers...Oye Vey, I need some of them bad but to stay still! :rolleyes:

Sweet shots, well done!!

14. There are amazing Jim! I will try to stop by at the locks on my way back from Sweden, It's raining hard here...

15. Andreas, the locks are pretty active now. I went again yesterday and took the 500 and really got close. Be sure to go over by the fish ladder area. The kingfishers were mostly around that area. Let me know when you go and maybe I can stop by. Sorry to hear you are having rain. It was 72 here yesterday but back to rain today. Look forward to seeing your pictures.