Lunchtime Raptor: New D2X Firmware

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Nov 10, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Very cloudy and conditions at which the camera previously would never ever have locked onto a flying bird as it would typically have either locked on the clouds or nothing at all.

My monitor here at work stinks, so this was a very fast and I'm sure not perfect process job.

I only managed a couple before this beauty flew off and further testing is required.....but boy am I a happy camper in this small number of shots!

original.

View attachment 17937

original.

original.

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shots. Glad to here you're happy with the AF performance now after the firmware upgrade. I haven't updated yet, because the feedback about color balance changing has me thinking I'm probalby going to have to re-do my ACR calibrations which I don't look forward to.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Jim, that's great, and a beautiful Red Tailed to boot. Wish I got quick lunch shots like these. :wink:

How are you feeling?

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Jeff..

With the changes that were made, updating your ACR calibrations are a minor payment to make in order to gain the positives :)

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Glad to hear Nikon listens and fixes, glad to hear you are finally satisfied.

6. Your report is encouraging. I'd still be interested in hearing how well it fares concerning shooting a flying bird against a busy background. That's the challenge my cam seems to be facing.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Kevin

I will intentionally be shooting against a busy background on Saturday...both close and distant.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

8. Those are the exact conditions I'm interested in hearing about, Jim, especially since it will be a while before I'm able to get out and try things out myself. We'll be hoping for you to have good weather!

9. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Jim,

Having followed your exploits regarding the D2X and focusing issues (and having had some myself) on Nikoians I am overjoyed at your satisfaction (finally)! Nice work!

Dave

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank Re: How I'm Feeling

In a nutshell...like crap.

My hands and wrists are swollen and painful and my left knee feels like someone is beating it with a hammer. In a couple of hours it will move elsewhere.

From what I'm hearing I have another 4-8 weeks of this disease before I really begin to feel better.

Don't get bit by a deer tick!

11. Jim thank you for this post. I look forward as Kevin mentioned for further tests but boy does this sound good. Very nice shots and what a great way to spend a lunch break. I am curious as to how you have your camera focus set now. Do you have a4 off or on. Also what mode is your camera on? The ones on the front of the camera, not sure what you call this as I am at work. Thanks again for all your work and sharing your findings with the rest of us.

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    James...Focus Settings

a4 was definetly OFF although I suppose I should try it with it ON as well.

These were shot at ISO 500, f7.1 AF-C set to FPS + Focus and single are dynamic (second one up).

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    A Really Important Observation

Something just came to me as I was comparing these shots to some taken previously.

Never have I been able to shoot at 6.3 and 7.1 with the 500 and TC14EII because the DOF appeared to be razor thin. I could never get an entire bird to be within the DOF.

Something is completely different with regards to the DOF on these shots!

14. Do you mean specifically with the D2x? That's very interesting. :confused:

Given that a firmware upgrade couldn't possibly change the optics of the lens, the only possible thing I could think of for something like that would be that the camera is intentionally "front-focusing" a bit and therefore moving the entire field of focus in such a way that more of your target is sharp. I suppose that's possible!

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great Raptor shots !
    glad to hear how you feel about update
    I updated my Hs yesterday but rain kept me from giving it a go. Think I'll go out in a bit and see.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    David,

I think you hit the nail on the head. It has to be that the AF system was not centering the DOF on the focus point, but shifting it forward or backward. :rolleyes:

17. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    This would be wonerful!

I always lamented that I had to shoot smaller apertures to get any kind of decent DOF with the X.

If I can now shoot at larger openings and have greater shutter speed and lower ISO....

I'll simply pee my pants with joy :)

18. As I occasionally tell my wife, this is too much nformation Jim :wink:

Your report is encouraging. I sure wich I could find a redtail at lunch (or any other time...)

19. Rocha

Rocha Guest

Glad to hear that the focus is in fact better! The images look kinda noisy and dull to me, what ISO was that? Did you do much post-processing?

20. Beautiful series Jim. Glad you feeling well enough to get out amongst them.