Critique Lunenburg - St. John's Anglican Church

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
St. John's Anglican Church was the first church established in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia (1754). It is the second Church of England built in Nova Scotia, and is the second oldest remaining Protestant church in present-day Canada. Early on 01 November 2001, St. John's church suffered significant damage by fire. It was restored and re-dedicated June 12, 2005.

This was one of my favorite churches we visited while touring New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island! The stained glass along the sides of the church were stunning. There is a mystery concerning the numerous stars painted within the Church, which has garnered the interest of international media and astronomers. The remarkable star scene may convey the night-sky on the first Christmas (some 2 millennia ago) as seen from Lunenburg.

_8507425-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_8507436_39-X3.jpg

_8507446_50-X3.jpg

_8507432_35-X4.jpg

Attachments

• _8507432_35-X3.jpg
    _8507432_35-X3.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 107
Real Name
Jeff Holdgate
St. John's Anglican Church was the first church established in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia (1754). It is the second Church of England built in Nova Scotia, and is the second oldest remaining Protestant church in present-day Canada. Early on 01 November 2001, St. John's church suffered significant damage by fire. It was restored and re-dedicated June 12, 2005.

This was one of my favorite churches we visited while touring New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island! The stained glass along the sides of the church were stunning. There is a mystery concerning the numerous stars painted within the Church, which has garnered the interest of international media and astronomers. The remarkable star scene may convey the night-sky on the first Christmas (some 2 millennia ago) as seen from Lunenburg.

View attachment 1645722

View attachment 1645723

View attachment 1645724

View attachment 1645726
Good work. There's some correctable distortion in the first image, that's about all the critique I have. Well done.

I have never been there. I feel like you brought it home. I'm not a fan of the fish eye but that's because I suffer from Vertigo... Love love the first one. I always shoot churches, don't know why. Great job???

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Absolutely gorgeous interior shots! Thanks for sharing, as my wife and I spent only a few hours in Lunenburg and didn't take the time to go inside anything other than a restaurant. Heck, even then we sat outside.
We drove to Lunenburg twice because we enjoyed it so much. There was another church there I wanted to photograph, but it was closed to the public due to a production company doing some filming.
Awesome work!
Thank you, Alex!
Nice... colors are rich...church is well lit.

I stayed at a historic B&B within walking distance of this church. However, the streets leading to the church were quite steep—making the walk very challenging.

Glenn
Yes, the streets were VERY steep! Tough walking especially carrying all our gear! LOL!
There are cables across the church. Is the land unstable?
I believe those are simply structural supports needed for the tremendous span of the church. Since there aren't wooden beams, the cables provide reinforcement.
Good work. There's some correctable distortion in the first image, that's about all the critique I have. Well done.
Thank you!
I have never been there. I feel like you brought it home. I'm not a fan of the fish eye but that's because I suffer from Vertigo... Love love the first one. I always shoot churches, don't know why. Great job???
We visited a LOT of church during our 2 month trip. At least one can still photograph interiors in very inclement weather! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Man you caught the wow factor................
THANKS!
Stunning church inside and outside.
Appreciate it, Walter!
Wow! As soon as I get settled in on one series of great shots, you spring an even better one on us :happy:
Thank you, Nick!
Beautiful Karen. Just heard on the news that hurricane Dorian hit Nova Scotia. Hope everyone's ok.
Thanks. Hope the storm has weakened enough so that there is little damage and few injuries.

Latest threads

Top Bottom