Lust Slaked!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Chris101, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    As you may know, I have recently lusted after an 85mm f/2.8 Perspective Control Micro lens. I even went so far as to place a 'Want to Trade' ad in the For Sale forum. Well, I have satisfied that itch and more!

I cobbled together a Mamiya 645 bellows with a 135mm f/5.6 Schnieder-Kreuznach Componon-S that covers a 5X7 inch image that stops to f/45 using an anticurved five blade iris to control diffraction loss at small apertures, and hooked it to my D100. The optical system is optimised for magnifications from 1:4 to 1:10 at f/7.1, but can be used from 1:1 to infinity with good results.

I needed a lens with a movable axis to be able to better 'square-up' on 'flat' art. Here's an art print under glass. All 5 movements of the lens (x-shift, y-shift and tilt and yaw plus rotation of the camera) are employed to to get this M. C. Escher print in focus edge to edge, even though it is photographed from a 45 degree angle, and to the side to avoid reflections:
    [​IMG]

Here's the same shot (constant width) with the 60mm Micro at the same aperture, f/7.1:
    [​IMG]
    The working distance and the corrective movements favor the 135, eh?

Here's the lens at infinity, a 30 second exposure of the sky at night. Look for the star trails:
    [​IMG]

And here it is near 1:2 (it's in color - the stuff was just black and white!)
    [​IMG]

And here's some shots of rulers at a 45 degree angle:
    [​IMG]

Finally, as there is a lot of interest here lately, I wondered if the lens would transmit UV well enough to use it pictoraly. But I don't have an optical quality UV transmitive (and visible light rejecting) filter. So I put a cobalt glass filter from a geology black-light in front of a carbon arc source and asked my assistant to lick the palm of her hand:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Chris, this gear just blows my mind away. How did you ever figure this out? My poor brain may never recover from the fathoms of your creativity!

Nice job.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really Great stuff Chris.

Way to go..

You are good.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well thanks y'all! I was just trying to save some money - those 85 PC's are expensive! I already had the bellows and lens from a business I had making slide presentations in the 80's. Iliah reminded me of the goodness of a bellows lens so I dug the stuff out. The only hard part was making the Nikon-Mamiya adapter, and that wasn't that hard (a bit of drilling, filing and epoxy glue.)

ps Paul, right, this does what I was looking to the 85 for, and I suspect that it'll serve at least as well as the 85 would have. It's got twice as many knobs. :wink:

6. Hi Chris!

Really Happy for you! I know you've been looking for a 85PC for a long time.
    This is living proof that Time fixes all problems, all the time.

Looking forward to see a lot of oyur work with your new setup!

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Congratulations, Chris! What parts did you use to connect the bellows to F, please?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  8. What a contraption! Very impressive results, Chris. Are you planning on bringing the rig to our wedding shoot in November?

9. The image of the Escher print really demo's the beauty of the lens. Congratulation on your purchase. My daughter wants one of those because she does a lot of house interiors. Cool rig you have there Chris.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks NB, Iliah, Frank and Gordon! Yes NB, I have been looking at the 85 for a while now. I even wanted one back in the days of film! I'm not sure this will totally quell my lust, but for now, it does. :smile:

Iliah, I bought a Nikon T adapter and cemented it into a Mamiya rear lens cap with 5 minute epoxy. Then I put two nylon set-screws into the lens cap so I could secure it to the bellows posterior end. I finished by painting the inside of the adapter with flat black enamel paint.

Frank, it's a bit cumbersome and slow to use. So no, I don't believe I will. I am thinking about working with the 12-24 and 180. I'm a bit worried about the wide angle though. I know it can do some horrible things to people! :wink: Remember that I also have an 85 (1.8 tho.)

Gordon - the cool thing is I only had to purchase the T adapter - $20! The rest of the stuff is left over from the afore mentioned film days. I sure am glad that I never sell or otherwise get rid of any camera stuff (but my storage shed is bursting at the seams!)

11. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Chris, I must say the idea of using T-adapter is much better then those using an extension tube I've seen. Setup is great, with enormous possibilities. I'm excited to see it.

12. Chris i am sure that your outfit has a lot more flexibility than the PC85 which has limited movement than using a below, and the result are there by looking at your pictures.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Metal to plastics never bond very well over time, especially when it's cold. And the join won't take much strain either. All of a sudden that makeshift adapter can split and the camera crash to the ground. So while the contraption obviously work, I for one don't consider this is the better solution. It is so easy to graft two different mounts onto each other and run a few screws into them so they will hold over time.

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

16. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Yes Paul, I'm quite well versed with cold weather, thank you :frown:

I'm also familiar with glued joins that rip apart, it very nearly destroyed my F5 once (a few weeks later that winter, I crashed through ice on a lake and was trapped beneath an ice floe, had to use my F5 as a hammer to break the ice and get out of my less than ideal position :cool: , the F5 survived the ordeal and I got pneumonia)

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You know Nikon would love that story with the caption ("Film Cameras Still Rule") below a dramatic photo of Bjørn's arm protruding from broken ice clutching a battered and soaking wet, but still fully functioning F5! I'm glad you weren't shooting with a D70 Bjørn.

19. cgrab

cgrab

Jan 3, 2007
    France
    For interiors any enlarging lens - bellows combination will probably be to long, and you won't see enough of the interior in the picture. There is probably a way to do it with the Rodenstock or Schneider superwides for digital medium format, but those come at prices, which make the 24mm t/s look like a bargain. On top of that, to my knowledge, the only currently manufactured bellows for slrs' with tilt and shift is the Cambo Wide, which is not inexpensive itself.

Thanks for showing the pic of the rug, that was impressive work. And the t/s links are way cool.