Lyndee Loo's 52 Week Project - 2021 -Week 14

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Oh, this is absolutely lovely, Lyndee! Just beautiful!
Thank you so much, Connie! I finally feel as though I’m beginning to hit my stride with my new gear, and this is my favorite photo, so far. This photo was taken with all natural light coming in through my dining room window and all the stars just seem to align, LOL!

Real Name
Ken
Thank you so much, Connie! I finally feel as though I’m beginning to hit my stride with my new gear, and this is my favorite photo, so far. This photo was taken with all natural light coming in through my dining room window and all the stars just seem to align, LOL!
Isn't it a real treat when we get that kind of light and can take advantage of it?

--Ken

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Week 6

In honor of Mardi Gras...

The Mask
Mask.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Very colorful, very nicely shot!!! Bet that was a fun time!
Thanks, Connie! Actually, Mardi Gras did not occur here this year due to present events, so I went to the Dollar store and purchased the mask and a set of beads. Then I just arranged the items on a black background and shot away!

Wow! Looks like you are liking your new camera!!!!! Stunning image!
Thank you so much! I am really loving my camera. I am, however, going to purchase a prime lens that will operate in low light, so stay tuned!

I had figured that they didn't have Mardi Gras this year and I knew you haven't traveled recently, but thought maybe it was a mask you'd kept as a souvenir from a past visit. Very cool idea to get a mask and coordinating beads at the Dollar store!

Definitely a fast prime lens will be a good thing to include in your camera gear! Either f/1.4 or f/1.8 will do you very nicely. 35mm? 50mm? 85mm? All are classics!

Just noticed that the EXIF info isn't showing under your image..... ??

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks Connie, I am just now noticing that the EXIF isn’t showing. That’s really weird. I need to check out and see what’s going on there.

And I’m leaning toward the 50 mm 1.8. I know I am not getting the 85, simply because I just don’t do portraiture. The 35 is a great option, however. Not sure which one would be better.

As an aside, I used to attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans every year, and stopped after Hurricane Katrina. I have a lot of Mardi Gras stuff in my basement, but digging it out would’ve taken forever. It was quicker and faster to head to the dollar store, and spend two bucks! 🤣

Hope you figure out why the EXIF isn't showing! I don't recall now if that is a preference option for members or not, but the solution could be as simple as that.

For what it's worth, I have both the 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 (Sony) and I notice that I tend to use the 35mm more often than the 85mm, especially when I need a wider perspective while shooting a tabletop image. I have used the 85mm f/1.8 a few times for flowers but like you, I don't shoot portraits. I have a 50mm f/2.8 macro and of course could use that for regular images, too, but tend not to do so, and for macro I most frequently reach for my beloved 90mm macro lens so the 50mm spends a fair amount of time in the armoire. I still haven't gotten around to getting a seriously wide-angle lens for my A7R IV; the 35mm f/1.8 is my widest interchangeable lens, but I can use my RX10 IV at 24mm if need be, but haven't done much of that.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hope you figure out why the EXIF isn't showing! I don't recall now if that is a preference option for members or not, but the solution could be as simple as that.

For what it's worth, I have both the 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 (Sony) and I notice that I tend to use the 35mm more often than the 85mm, especially when I need a wider perspective while shooting a tabletop image. I have used the 85mm f/1.8 a few times for flowers but like you, I don't shoot portraits. I have a 50mm f/2.8 macro and of course could use that for regular images, too, but tend not to do so, and for macro I most frequently reach for my beloved 90mm macro lens so the 50mm spends a fair amount of time in the armoire. I still haven't gotten around to getting a seriously wide-angle lens for my A7R IV; the 35mm f/1.8 is my widest interchangeable lens, but I can use my RX10 IV at 24mm if need be, but haven't done much of that.
When I had my other gear, my 50 1.8 was my most prized lens. I loved it. Then when I got rid of everything, I sold it, as well. I really liked that focal length and so that's what I'm leaning towards. I just wish we had a brick and mortar store here that carried the lenses so I could test them out, but alas... :(

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I feel that way when I am fighting for light, but then realize how much DOF I need to sacrifice (unless I want to focus stack), so I hope you find a good balance.

--Ken
For tabletop photography, I think I've found my answer and it was staring at me in the face the entire time. The most sunlit room in my house is my sunroom off the kitchen. Oddly, enough, it's a room I never go into. Last week, I noticed just how much natural light floods that room. Sooo...I'm going to clear out the junk that's in there and move my photography set up into that room. Indoor problem solved! :)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Week 7

There is an up and coming section of St. Louis called the Grove. I visit that area periodically as they have some great examples of murals that have been painted on some of the older buildings. Here's a mural that I found, but instead of it being on an older building, this new home, which under construction, is being made from shipping containers.

Home Sweet Home

New Home.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I absolutely agree that your sunroom would be the perfect "studio!" I do a lot of my shots in my bedroom, using my dresser, which is positioned under two lovely large windows, and the afternoon sun comes in there just beautifully. Space is a bit cramped, though, and there are times when I've sat on the top of the dresser in order to get the shot(s) I want. Sometimes I've used the kitchen, too, as my "studio" because I get nice light in there as well. I much prefer using natural light when I can. Because the windows in the bedroom overlook our parking lot, sometimes I tape up a large piece of foam "paper" as a filter to let the light still come in, softening it nicely, too, while blocking out the view of people's cars. (Actually had to do that today while experimenting with something which may show up in next week's offerings.) Before the pandemic, this wasn't as much of a problem because during the week most cars and their people were away for the day at work, but now so many are working from home that there are always vehicles in front of the building, and of course on weekends people are home more, too, and have visitors as well.

That's a really neat shot of that shipping-container home! The mural is really cool and adds just the right interesting touch! Wouldn't it be fun to see what the house's interior looks like?

50mm f/1.8 is a classic, and definitely if it is one of your favorites to use, go for one! I have the Sony 50mm f/2.8 macro lens and from time to time I do think about also getting a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 but haven't done so yet, as I tend not use that particular focal length all that frequently. My next priority is something in the wide range as I really need that. Fast lenses are good to have, no doubt about it!

I see you fixed whatever the issue was with the EXIF showing. It is visible now!

Seems signs like this are everywhere. Here's hoping things change soon...

Sign of the Times
View attachment 1677681

Sad sign of the times, I hope for a return to normal soon as well. Hopefully, not too many businesses go under.

Week 3

Now, contrary to popular opinion, not all my shoes are stilettos, LOL! I do have flat shoes and I added this pair to my shoe collection yesterday (I had to; they were on sale... :D )

Nice work with the product shooting.

Hey, the cardboard box for a light tent thing does work pretty well. Good job with that.

Discovered this structure on one of my early morning "drive-by's", and cannot find out what style of home it is/was. It certainly isn't Italianate, or Greek Revival and it's not a Craftsman. I've been looking at our local Historical Society website but haven't come up with anything yet. I'll keep digging, though! :)

View attachment 1678451

I love older structures still in use. Nice find, well captured, and I'll look forward to any info you find. (Curious minds and all that...)

Week 5

Pretty in Pink​
View attachment 1678648

Very nice. Great colors, and the water droplets are a wonderful touch.

Week 6

In honor of Mardi Gras...

Colorful and fun photo. :D

Week 7

There is an up and coming section of St. Louis called the Grove. I visit that area periodically as they have some great examples of murals that have been painted on some of the older buildings. Here's a mural that I found, but instead of it being on an older building, this new home, which under construction, is being made from shipping containers.

Home Sweet Home

View attachment 1679139

Another cool find. Love the mural and the re-use of the shipping containers!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Week 7

Home Sweet Home

View attachment 1679139
Hi Lyndee,
you've taken a wonderful picture.
This is the knd of work I love and I'm looking for an artist to paint my garage doors...

Kind regards
Klaus

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom