Lyndee Loo's 52 Week Project - 2021 - Week 45

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
No pressure.................. :p
I'm coming, I'm coming...! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I've been waiting for my 52-Week Project buddy to start posting images!!!! Why do I have the feeling that maybe I'm going to be doing this thing all by myself this year?!
No, you won't be the only one, Connie! :D Work really has had me tied up. I have to do end-of-year info system processes and since the last work day of 2020 was in a pay period in 2021, all of my year end 'stuff' occurred last week and has rolled into this week.

I've also been wanting to get that one 'perfect' shot, and have been tossing around ideas. Looks like I've tossed so much that a couple of weeks have passed by already, LOL! I'll be posting something either Sunday or Monday, and then I'll be back on schedule!

Great!!!! I know that feeling about the one "perfect" shot to highlight each week, and that's one reason I shoot several times during the week in the vain hopes of nailing it! Sometimes a casual on-the-fly kind of shot or an experimental one turns out to be more interesting and appealing than one over which I labored for an hour or more! I have learned that sometimes being spontaneous and not planning too extensively can pay off in the long run. I try to shoot two or three days, if not more, during a given week, but of course that is not always possible when one is working full-time as you are.

One good thing about the 52-Week project is that it is much more flexible than trying to do a 365-Day POTD; at least that's how I've experienced it!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Finally!!

But on the bright side, I'm only three weeks late, LOL! :ROFLMAO: Sorry for the delay, but real life (work) had me on lockdown. Anywhoo, I'm back and I'm on my way to getting back on track.

Soooo, with that, here's my first image:

More Bills Than Money...
More Bills Than Money.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Yay, Lyndee!!!! You're finally on board!!!
Yeah, that is an image that I think many of us can relate to in one way or another..... Beautifully shot!!
Thank you, Connie! Upon looking at this again, I think I could have brightened the image at bit, but I do like how it turned out.

+1 to an image to relate to...

As for lightening up a bit, I think it looks fine as-is. It would be easy to lighten this a bit too much IMHO.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Seems signs like this are everywhere. Here's hoping things change soon...

Sign of the Times
Sign of the TImes.jpg

Sad marquee, isn't it? My concern is that even when things do begin to open up that by then it will be pretty much too late and that a lot of theaters, especially local ones as opposed to the big nationwide chains, will be unable to regain their footing..... People have discovered the joys and convenience of streaming right to their own home, where it's a lot more comfortable (and quieter) than many theaters!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Sad marquee, isn't it? My concern is that even when things do begin to open up that by then it will be pretty much too late and that a lot of theaters, especially local ones as opposed to the big nationwide chains, will be unable to regain their footing..... People have discovered the joys and convenience of streaming right to their own home, where it's a lot more comfortable (and quieter) than many theaters!
So true, Connie. To be perfectly honest, I've really adjusted well to being at home. Certainly, I miss going to dinner with friends, but other than that, I have everything I need right in the house. I do know that with respect to movie theatres, there was a major theater chain out here that ceased operations. Not sure what will happen to the others...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Week 3

Now, contrary to popular opinion, not all my shoes are stilettos, LOL! I do have flat shoes and I added this pair to my shoe collection yesterday (I had to; they were on sale... :D )

Shoes.jpg

Goal: To improve composition

Balderdash! (I've never used that word. Ha!) I've only seen a few of your tabletop compositions but those that I've seen work really, really well.

In the photo of the cinema, I wonder if you considered cropping to exclude the car. I think doing so would bring more attention to the marquee and perhaps improve the story-telling of your photo.

I've also been wanting to get that one 'perfect' shot

I completely understand. I've been waiting for that too, since 1983 when I first owned a camera.

Now, contrary to popular opinion, not all my shoes are stilettos, LOL!

I hate it when myths that are so much fun get debunked.

The tabletop and background material in the photo of the shoes is really nice. What is that material?

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Balderdash! (I've never used that word. Ha!) I've only seen a few of your tabletop compositions but those that I've seen work really, really well.

In the photo of the cinema, I wonder if you considered cropping to exclude the car. I think doing so would bring more attention to the marquee and perhaps improve the story-telling of your photo.

I completely understand. I've been waiting for that too, since 1983 when I first owned a camera.

I hate it when myths that are so much fun get debunked.

The tabletop and background material in the photo of the shoes is really nice. What is that material?
LOL - thank you!! :ROFLMAO:

You're absolutely right about the car in the cinema photo. I do need to crop it out, for sure.

In terms of the background material for the shoe photo, it's simply a piece of black cardboard from the Dollar Tree store. This weekend, I ended up making a rudimentary table top 'studio', that cost all of $11 and some change. I purchased a large cardboard box from Walmart ($1.37), a large black poster board, clips, a plastic painter's drop cloth (all from Dollar Tree) and a desk lamp (Walmart, $6.88). After assembling the box, I cut holes in the sides and covered the holes with the plastic drop cloth to diffuse the light from the desk lamp. I then cut a slit in the top of the box, slid the poster board thru it and secured it to the box with the clips. So far, the 'studio' seems to be working well! :shame:

Love those shoes, Lyndee! Stylish and comfy! I can so easily envision you strutting around in 'em!!! Great shot of them, too! Lighting is right on the money.

I commend you on your thriftiness and your ingenuity, too -- very clever to put together your own "portable studio" rather than getting suckered into buying one of the expensive ones offered online or in camera shops. I have a Photek one that I bought lo these many, many moons ago, used a few times and now it mainly lives in a closet. That said, I do still often use the "angle poise" style lamp that came with it. I do like that portable studio though, for small objects (part of my problem with it is that it IS too small for anything else; that said, it works great for jewelry). The primary value of the portable studio is that it does work well in controlling and diffusing the light on the subject while blocking out other stuff in the immediate vicinity or in the room.

Black poster boards, black foam core boards, and white poster boards and white foam core boards are essential tools in any tabletop photographers resources. They make a huge difference when it comes to providing appropriate backgrounds or for use as reflectors or "flags". Since I often do my tabletops on my dining table, a strategically-placed foam core board serves not only as backdrop but as a way of blocking off the sight of my sometimes-messy living room! If you have a Michael's Crafts store near you, it's a good place to pick up foam core boards, poster boards in various colors and also even some patterns, and also other items which can be useful.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tabletop photography! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom