M.2 with PCIe VS SSD Drive

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The interface to them is faster, thay are the natural choice if your motherboard supports it. But I doubt it is worth you upgrading from your SATA SSDs.
You can put anything on them just like any other drive. I have them as my C: drive so all software is on them. I use (Samsung) 500GB, which is plenty.

My motherboard supports two of them, so I have one empty slot. If we ever get 8TB ones which are affordable I'll be able to put my data drive in the second slot.

YES, YES, YES - you want M.2 NVME (PCIEx4) drives.
The interface is 10X faster than SATA.
Drives are able to use the faster interface although they cannot swamp it like SATA drives can a SATA connection.

Don't buy anymore SATA drives if you have M.2 as an option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
YES, YES, YES - you want M.2 NVME (PCIEx4) drives.
The interface is 10X faster than SATA.
Drives are able to use the faster interface although they cannot swamp it like SATA drives can a SATA connection.

Don't buy anymore SATA drives if you have M.2 as an option.

How hard is it if I purchased a M.2 NVME (PCIEx4) drive to transfer everything on my SSD boot drive onto it? Is that possible and my PC just boot up?
I couldn't even handle the dreaded thought of starting from scratch and re-installing and re configuring everything.

Real Name
David
Here's an old comparison from Photography Life I posted in another thread.

https://photographylife.com/nvme-vs-ssd-vs-hdd-performance

This slide from the article pretty much sums it up.
1595283124342.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken St John
First, I've built a couple of servers for clients now using a 500GB M.2 as boot drive, and a 1TB M.2 for data (both have data needs well under 1TB so that's plenty big). Performance is just plain nuts!! Even their terribly written, ancient, Line of Business database runs fast!!

Second, as to a switch over ... to get the best boost and put your OS on a M.2 would require a rebuild. It's a Windows thing ... can't just copy & paste!! Good news ... doing so will essentially turn your PC into a brand new speed demon of a machine!!

After using these M.2 servers for a while, I sure wish I could find an economical way to replace my iMac's Apple Fusion drive with M.2 ... but can't!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Read and Write speed is a bit slow compared to a Samsung drive (although much faster than a regular SSD), and yes it is more expensive, worth it to me.

Western Digital Read 2400 MB/s Write 950 MB/s ( https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/N82E16820147742?Item=9SIA9H58XD5243 )
Samsung 500 EVI Read 3500 MB/s Write 3200 MB/s ( https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/N82E16820147742?Item=9SIA9H58XD5243 )

I bought the Samsung 500 it is like lightening

Thanks for the replies all.

Is a Western Digital SSD M.2 Blue 2280 500GB a good drive? I can get one for around AUD $115.00 online.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Read and Write speed is a bit slow compared to a Samsung drive (although much faster than a regular SSD), and yes it is more expensive, worth it to me.

Western Digital Read 2400 MB/s Write 950 MB/s ( https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/N82E16820147742?Item=9SIA9H58XD5243 )
Samsung 500 EVI Read 3500 MB/s Write 3200 MB/s ( https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/N82E16820147742?Item=9SIA9H58XD5243 )

I bought the Samsung 500 it is like lightening

Thanks Andreas, is this the one you bought?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung...AU_StandardDelivery!2539!AU!-1&frcectupt=true

Real Name
David
Look at the connector and look for PCIe and not SATA, that WD drive is SATA.

Some drives (Samsung in particular) come with SW that will migrate your data.
I think it also works well for your boot drive.
Other SW like Acronis True Image should also work.
You should NOT have to do a complete re-build.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You can clone the drive across, no need to reinstall anything.
Samsung even give you the software but there is other s/w that will do it.
Windows knows about these things nowadays - no reason a reinstall is needed.

Real Name
Ken St John
The Samsung 970 EVO NVMe shown above is the exact drive I've been using. Screaming fast and extremely reliable!!

I know there's a lot of clone software that can move your boot drive, and I hope whatever you choose works for you. But Windows is Windows ... be prepared for a rebuild if you need to (that is, have an ability to download or make a DVD image or USB drive/install stick and the appropriate Windows licensing info (product codes, etc.) just in case!!

Ken

I migrated from an SSD to an M2 last month.
I cloned the drive with Magnum Reflect (name may be wrong) instead of Acronis which always gave me problems in the past.
Then reformatted the SDD.
Job done.
Except for the annoying Bios intermittent error message Warning me that the M2 drives will fail.
Technical support says not to worry, flaw in latest bios firmware.
:)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I migrated from an SSD to an M2 last month.
I cloned the drive with Magnum Reflect (name may be wrong) instead of Acronis which always gave me problems in the past.
Then reformatted the SDD.
Job done.
Except for the annoying Bios intermittent error message Warning me that the M2 drives will fail.
Technical support says not to worry, flaw in latest bios firmware.
:)
You've either been watching too much Clint Eastwood or eating too much ice cream or drinking large bottles of wine.
It's Macrium Reflect Free.

For reassurance run CrystalDiskInfo, it works well with NVMe drives as well as SATA SSDs.

You've either been watching too much Clint Eastwood or eating too much ice cream or drinking large bottles of wine.
It's Macrium Reflect Free.

For reassurance run CrystalDiskInfo, it works well with NVMe drives as well as SATA SSDs.
Clint Eastwood.
Been doing a Dirty Harry marathon.
Really.
Crystal info and BIOS diagnostics all 👌.
Honestly I backup everything and use OneDrive for working files.

M.2 drives are every bit as reliable as other SSD's.
All are over provisioned and give long life.
The only worry is heat - if you have space, get one with a heatsink.
Airflow between slots is poor in a typical build and a heatsink will help keep the drive cool.
Drives will throttle if they overheat to keep them from killing themselves, but why push it to this limit.

I love mine -- a 128GB XQD can unloaded at a sustained 300MB/sec.
M.2 to M.2 moves are running about 500MB/sec sustained with peaks much higher.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom