M and M/A issue

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I can confirm that is the way my 24-120 f/4 AF-S works on my D750. I have it set up to focus when the AE-L/AF-L button is depressed and it still responds to that even with the lens set to "M".
Hmmmmm, appreciate your sending the screen shot.

So, with the D750, if the lens is set to M, but the camera is on AF, then the lens Auto focuses.
I took it as if the lens is on M and the camera on AF, it will not auto focus?
I wish I had my gear with me, I'm out of country and this is killing me, surprisingly I have good internet lol

He says :'I have 'Nikon' 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 24-120mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm. All work as M mode as manual, except this lens which is not working.'

He still hasn't answered whether he set the camera body to M, and that's 6 lenses not 5... Lol

I wonder if any of the lenses has an auto-manual setting. If not, it's a bit more understandable that he doesn't properly understand the issue.

Not sure how true this is, but this is his latest response without answering if he switched the M button on the camera:

'I never had to switch camera to M ever. Also, just got off the phone with Nikon, they confirmed that all the Nikon lens designed this way that the lens value will override the camera value. They suspect that some alluminium ball sensor at the back of the lens might have got stuck or stopped working leading to this.'

My Nikon 300mm ED mounted on my D7000 did the same. My Tamron 90mm macro didn't. I didn't try my Tokina 12-24mm.

It's clear that your buyer doesn't want to keep the lens under any circumstances. If it was me, I would take the lens back and find out if it really is faulty. Even if it's in great shape, I'd be glad to be done with someone who is being so unhelpful as to refuse to explain whether he switched the camera to manual.

Just checked my D3S with my 28-70 2.8 AFS (The Beast)
Switching from MA to M on the lens it still focuses automatically until I move the switch on the front of the camera body to M.

Just checked my D3S with my 28-70 2.8 AFS (The Beast)
Switching from MA to M on the lens it still focuses automatically until I move the switch on the front of the camera body to M.
Not so on the D850.

On the D810 it's like the D750 (and earlier bodies?)

Last edited:
Found this on the nikonimgsupport.com site

"The M/A mode allows switching from autofocus to manual operation, by simply rotating the focus ring, with virtually no time lag. This is a popular option for sports photographers who autofocus on their subject, but who require fine focus with manual control and an instant response to the manual adjustment. This option is common on a wide range of lenses including professional lenses due to the fine control and the responsiveness it offers. "

They way I see this is the M/A selection is for autofocus but the user can change it slightly manually without damaging the lens. If you keep the shutter release half way down and manual focus slightly while keeping it half way down it will not refocus. This would indicate to me that M is for strictly manual and the button on the front of the body must be changed also. Otherwise why would there even be an M selection on the lens? This is exactly what my gear is doing. I do not feel there is anything wrong with the lens.

Found this on the nikonimgsupport.com site

"The M/A mode allows switching from autofocus to manual operation, by simply rotating the focus ring, with virtually no time lag. This is a popular option for sports photographers who autofocus on their subject, but who require fine focus with manual control and an instant response to the manual adjustment. This option is common on a wide range of lenses including professional lenses due to the fine control and the responsiveness it offers. "

They way I see this is the M/A selection is for autofocus but the user can change it slightly manually without damaging the lens. If you keep the shutter release half way down and manual focus slightly while keeping it half way down it will not refocus. This would indicate to me that M is for strictly manual and the button on the front of the body must be changed also. Otherwise why would there even be an M selection on the lens? This is exactly what my gear is doing. I do not feel there is anything wrong with the lens.
Yup, true for AFS lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom