M and M/A issue

I sold a guy a Nikon 20mm 1.8 lens and he says when he puts 'it in M mode from M/A mode it still try to focus when shutter is pressed, which should not happen'.
Is it possible he has the camera body set up in a way this happens.
I personally use back button focus.
I don't believe there were any issues with the lens when I sold it. And I'd rather not accept the return if I don't have to, just trying to see if it could be something else.

I wonder if the camera body also has to be set to manual mode. Some lenses require the setting, whether it's auto or manual, to be set both on the lens and on the camera body. I'm referring to the AF-M switch on the front of the camera near the lens mount.

It might be helpful if you provide the camera model the buyer is using.

Thank you, I will email the gentleman that response, it's difficult back and forth with him
I think you are right.

The more I think about this, all of my lenses require that the switch on the front of the camera has to be set to either AF or M. I have I think only three lenses that allow the setting to be made on the lens. If that lens setting isn't consistent with the camera setting, the focus won't work as desired.

Thanks so much, I'm doing all this while I'm out of the country on vacation!
So I don't have my Nikon gear with me and I don't know what body he has, but I sent him what you said and asked what body he has

I'm sure if it works he will be embarrassed to say the least, hopefully he will admit that was the problem if it is. He wants to take a case against me on ebay, since I told him it works fine.
If this works, you're a life saver and I should buy you a drink!

QUOTE="Traveler582, post: 4039666, member: 14288"]
Thanks so much, I'm doing all this while I'm out of the country on vacation!
So I don't have my Nikon gear with me and I don't know what body he has, but I sent him what you said and asked what body he has
[/QUOTE]
In

". . .The M/A mode allows switching from autofocus to manual operation, by simply rotating the focus ring . . ."

If I understand the buyer's issue correctly, that doesn't address the issue. (Even so, the buyer may not know about that and should be informed of it.) Instead, the issue is that when the buyer changes the setting on the lens from M/A to M, the camera is still trying to auto focus. I would expect that to happen if the buyer forgot to also change the setting on the camera body from AF to M.

Last edited:
He says he was using it for ASTRO-photography, personally I use a remote shutter release when taking photos of the moon.
He hasn't responded back yet

He says he has the D750 and five other lenses, and this is the only one with this issue...
Never answered about the camera button, so i asked again, did you set the button on the camera to manual?

If I understand the buyer's issue correctly, that doesn't address the issue. (Even so, the buyer may not know about that and should be informed of it.) Instead, the issue is that when the buyer changes the setting on the lens from M/A to M, the camera is still trying to auto focus. I would expect that to happen if the buyer forgot to also change the setting on the camera body from AF to M.

Agreed, and then again he could just want to return it cause the wife yelled at him for spending too much money...
That or similar happens, or they change their minds, even with a 'no returns' on my selling page, ebay always takes the side of the buyer....
And I'll have to pay shipping.. Arghhhh

I sold a guy a Nikon 20mm 1.8 lens and he says when he puts 'it in M mode from M/A mode it still try to focus when shutter is pressed, which should not happen'.
Is it possible he has the camera body set up in a way this happens.
I personally use back button focus.
I don't believe there were any issues with the lens when I sold it. And I'd rather not accept the return if I don't have to, just trying to see if it could be something else.

Is this an AF-S lens?

Latest threads

Top Bottom