M31 - Andromeda

Here is the last one for this year ( :) ) and is one I may have posted before, but this is a little better view. This is the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) which is 2.5 million light years from earth, and is the nearest galaxy to our own Milky Way. Observations have shown that M31 has over 1 trillion stars - our own Milky Way has 200-400 billion. It spans 220,000 light years across. There are actually 2 other galaxies in this photo, Messier 110 in the middle just below Andromeda, and M32 straight up from M110 on the top side of Andromeda. This is a compilation of 85 x 90 second photos - or just over 2 hours. This was done with a D5300, 70-200 and TC14E.

p3775188525-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Superb! The detail in the dust lanes and arms is right there - I can reach out and touch it! Your work is as good as any I’ve seen short of orbiting observatories.

Last edited:
Superb! The detail in the dust lanes and arms is right there - I can reach out and touch it! Your work is as good as any I’ve seen short of orbiting observatories.
Thanks Chris!

Excellent work. Have loved the nighttime sky since childhood.
Thanks! Astronomy has always been an interest, just never really had the opportunity for a deep dive until I retired....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom