1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

MA: Joe McNally Seminar 9/8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aqualung, Aug 21, 2008.

1. [Mods, wasn't sure where to put this, pls feel free to move]

Joe McNally is going to be conducting a lighting seminar sponsored by the Commercial Industrial Photographers of New England on Monday, Sept 8th in Waltham, MA from 9-5 (reg starts @ 8).

It's only $75 for guests...Pre-reg is required.

2. Wow, thats a deal!!!! Are you going? I'd love to......but no child care. :frown:

3. I am, it is a good price, esp since it's in the 'burbs, so no parking :biggrin:

4. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    I am in

yahoo, thanks for the link I jumped on that as soon as I read your post.

Thanks

5. 'welcome, look forward to meeting you there...

6. Wish I could attend, but I have two prior commitments that day that I know I can't get out of. At least I was lucky enough to see Joe McNally at last year's NECCC. He's awesome.

7. Why can't stuff like that come around where I live....

8. I think I'll be there, just gotta find a sitter.

We should have a Cafe rally point so we can all meet up.

9. There's not much open at that time, not even a Starbucks :wink:. Be warned, that interchange absolutely stinks, they've been doing roadwork for the past two years, and it's an extremely busy area as it is.

Could go out after, there's a Naked Fish across the street (mediocre) or good eats/ (like a brew pub) in downtown Waltham (Moody St).

10. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Did anybody make the seminar?

Anyone care to write up their thoughts about the seminar?

11. Sure, for $75 :biggrin: LOL.

I did go, and met Patrick (PDuany)...don't know if Phil went...

I thought it was a very helpful day.

It started w/ Joe going thru some of his award-winning photos, and then a short dog and pony show by the Elinchrom rep...I think some of us were concerned about when/if Joe would be be back on. Incidentally, HE Levine (Boston camera shop) was there w/ some gear (D90, D700, SB-900, and lenses and other gear). Elinchrom was also there w/ a nice display of softboxes, and there was a large setup of tripods (drool).

Joe then came back and began shooting tethered, starting w/ some large Elinchroms (model # escapes me) and showed how the light could vary between placement and diffusion method (umbrella, 4x6 strip, beauty dish, etc). This went on for awhile and was pretty interesting.

After lunch, Joe moved on to smaller light sources, i.e. SB-900s. Again, he walked us through placement, power, using a reflector in conjunction, diffusion panel and different focal lengths (he shot a D3 w/ his 70-200 and/or 24-70; mainly 70-200).

At the end, he went out to the lobby to shoot in mixed light (interesting as there were >200 people there) and kind of annoyed the hotel. I had to leave but Patrick might have something to add.

All in all, I thought it was an interesting day and worth the $75. A friend of mine sent me a note that basically said "don't waste your money on day long seminars, save up for a 3 day workshop w/ Joe". I'd love to do that, but $3k or more isn't in my budget right now...so this worked well.

12. Jim_C

Jim_C

Aug 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I would have ponied up $75 to go :) , but I had scheduling constraints.

Thanks for the write up.

Count me in that club. I'm sure we aren't alone :) .

13. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Sounds like this was a great one, sorry I couldn't go.

14. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    I almost always have something to add :wink:.... pretty much in complete agreement for $75 and an excuse to take a day off it was time well spent.

Being in a room full of photographers it is hard not to come away learning something. It was not exactly what I thought it would be going in. I was hoping for more small strobe info. About 3/4 of the time was spent on 1000 w/s elinchrome strobes. It was interesting to watch, and informative, but unless I happen to hit the lottery anytime soon, this was about as close as I am ever going to get.

Also a fair amount of time was spent futzing with equipment. Apparently fed-ex missed placed most of his equipment in shipping from his last assignment, I thought that was interesting because Fed-Ex is one of his big corperate clients. I never did work up the nerve to ask him about that.

The other big distraction was a fair amount of time was spent on technical minutia. To Joe's credit he dealt with all questions without missing a beat, but we did get dragged off into the weeds a few times. I think this is the nature of getting that many technically oriented people into one room.

He started off each exercise by setting up the light to be bad, then he would adjust take a photo and repeat until he got the desired effect. I was surprised how many times it would take before he got it right. I wondered if this was just part of his teach schtick, but I got the impression that this was how he did it in the field. At the end of this he always took a photo that got a gasp from the audience at how good it was, but then he would adjust the light and take just one more. He seemed to like his last photo the best but the audience seemed to like the second to last.

The session in the lobby was funny. He wanted to show mixed light environment and all at once 200 people descended on the lobby and took it over. It was funny to watch the staff trying to figure out what was going on.

Oh well that was probably more info then you wanted. To sum it up... good day, would do it again, maybe someday I can spring for more one on one training, but that is not happening anytime soon. And being the geek lighting groupie that I am, I got my "Moment it Clicks" book autographed.

15. yeah, good points Patrick...and early on there was a 'hijacker' as Scott Kelby wrote about. But he seemed to quiet down by late AM.

I too would have liked more time on the smaller strobes as that's my world, but I'm suspecting that many of the commercial photogs there have studio setups w/ strobes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.