Mabry's Mill

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dmwphoto, Nov 18, 2005.

1. After R Bond posted his old mill shots I got the urge to dig up a couple that I had. This is Mabry's Mill on the blue ridge parkway shot with Kodachrome some time back.
    Dave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. These are very nice. Sometimes I think scanned film images, even from 35mm, have advantages over digital for some subjects.

That said, I do notice a slight blue cast. In the 35mm slides I have scanned I have condiserable trouble with color balance, especially with ektachrome (sp?).

Do you mind telling us which scanner you used?

3. Pa
    Thanks for looking and commenting. I imagine this place is not far from you.
    I had these scanned by Ritz camera as I did not wish to purchase a scanner.
    Dave

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ireally like the first one Dave,
    Excellent image and comp

5. Thanks alot Gale, Really appreciate when you send comments. Hope to meet you in person in about 90 days or so :^)
    Dave

6. Hello Dave

I'm glad that I inspired you to post these. I particularly like the first one.

7. Dave Excellent gosh this brings back memories I once hiked the entire Skyline drive and a good part of the BRP I know this place well. Thanks for the memories

8. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks for posting these Dave. I'm a sucker for old structures, partly because I'm always looking for ideas on how to photograph the inside of my old barn -- the images never turn out to be as interesting as the barn itself. In your first photo, you let the structure "speak for itself" within its surroundings. The third photo is more documentation. I think I've been trying to combine the two aspects with the result being an omelet.

9. Love these, esp the first one! Would make an outstanding oil painting too. The overcast skies provide perfect lighting for old barn boarding.

10. A lot of fine details, the way the roof is made with the piece of wood longer on one side i guess the wind is prominent from that side and that chimney is a piece of art.

11. I reckon we could had a whole Mabry Mill gallery without much trouble :) I've got tons of negs of it from when I lived near there (I used to drive by about three times a month).

These are from June. Both are from raw/.NEF files. The 2nd image is one of the building near the mill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Excellent!