Mac G5 Dual Core 2.3 Ghz Probelm SOLVED finally....

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Donzo98, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    My freezing problem is NOW solved. You can read the gory details here... https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=121211

Initially thought it was the memory which was eventually removed, returned and replaced.

The problem turned out to be a faulty graphics card. I replaced it with the stock NVidia Geforce 6600 and all is well.

Interestingly I downloaded a Widget which shows temps of various parts of the computer. Prior to switching cards the backside temp was 10 degrees higher than it is now. :eek::eek:

I thought it would be good to post this in case anyone experiences similar issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Don,

Glad to hear all is now working well. I know you have been fighting this for a while.

I'm not surprised that the computer is cooler now with the stock card as it is a lower end card than the x1900. High performance parts generally come with higher heat levels.

Mike

3. You know, when I recently bought myself a Mac Pro, I looked into the X1900 and decided for now to just use the cheaper NVidia card. Reason being I read about a lot of overheating problems with that card. I figure to wait to give them time to update that card.

How long ago did you buy it?

I would imagine that by now they have fixed that problem. Macs are too dependent on that as a higher end video card to not get it taken care of.

4. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I bought the ATI X1900 in November 2006. I didnt have a problem until a few months ago.

For sure the problem with my system was the card. The machine is 11 degrees cooler now. No crashes at all.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: They are sending me a new card via RMA... but I am not putting it in. I really didn't need it in the first place. :smile:

5. I hear you. I am finding the NVidia in mine to be plenty fast enough, even for CS3, etc.

6. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    On the subject of widgets, there is one that shows depth of field if anyone is interested. You put in the focal length and aperture and it shows what should be in focus. Kind of cool if you are a widget fan.