Mac Malware imminent

Seriously, with a market share of nearly 20% and user base that takes no precautions against viruses or feels to be immune to it...

...if virusses really could take hold on the Mac the macvironment would be rampant with it by now. It isn't so I assume virusses really don't stand a chance on the mac.

Notice that it's getting close to summer, news is drying up and the dude's column is called "Ed Bott's Microsoft Report" — I have a feeling it's not written by a Macxpert.

i am more worried about nuclear meltdown from power plants or a terrorist attack.
Same. There are still plenty of security "features" built into OSX that I feel safe with.

Words of key loggers and the like have been circulating for years now. This doesn't seem like new "news".

The author of the article gave the impression that their work was common knowledge. If so you wonder if 'he whose name must not be mentioned' might have a little counter espionage underway. I know I would if I were Steve....er oops!

:redface:

It's common knowledge among information security professionals. No OS is immune from this kind of vulnerability, it's really only a matter of whether or not anyone gets around to crafting an exploit or not.

Real Name
Ken St John
Having delt (professionally) with MS bad stuff for a long time, I'm not overly worried. However ... it is prudent to disable the Safari preference that automatically opens "safe" downloads. Having something head to the desktop (or Download folder) and sit there for a while is not a bad precaution.

I do wonder about one thing ... for a long time now, Apple has advertised heavily about OSX's security and resistance to bad stuff. If these jerks do find a hole, does that open the door to holding Apple liable???? Hmmmmm

Cheers!!

Ken

Having delt (professionally) with MS bad stuff for a long time, I'm not overly worried. However ... it is prudent to disable the Safari preference that automatically opens "safe" downloads. Having something head to the desktop (or Download folder) and sit there for a while is not a bad precaution.

I do wonder about one thing ... for a long time now, Apple has advertised heavily about OSX's security and resistance to bad stuff. If these jerks do find a hole, does that open the door to holding Apple liable???? Hmmmmm

Cheers!!

Ken
I agree with the "safe" downloads aspect. it's one of the first things I disable when I help someone setup OSX.

They've been saying this for as long as there are macs and mac users.

It will come someday, but as of today, I use my mac whenever I need to browse or look-up something obscure...typically how to fix what's going on in my windows work computer. Hah.

It's only a matter of time.. at the current 20% market share with a more difficult to use/master OS and vulnerabilities it's more useful to create something for Windows OS...

However with increased market share comes greater "results" for hackers.. so It's a matter of time.

I'd say there's more fame and glory to develop malware for iOS than OSX. Think of all the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad users out there.

Cheers!!

Ken
Never underestimate the cleverness of Apple's marketing staff. What exactly did they say that guaranteed no malware? I challenge you to find one statement.

One example right off the top of my head: "Macs don't get PC Viruses"

Think about it. Is it different from "Humans don't get Sea Lion dermatitis" :biggrin:

Cheers!!

Ken
Thanks for the tip, Done.

Social engineering attacks can affect anyone with an internet connection and a browser regardless of operating system. The insidious things about this particular exploit are that the scripts identify and target the specific browser you are using and the resulting scareware screens are very convincing (no garbled grammar, authentic looking graphics).

Couple this with the (arguably justified, at least so far) sense of immunity that exists in the Mac community and this could get ugly.

Since Vista/Windows 7, the Mac OS has no inherent security advantage over the MS Windows OS. The two operating systems approach security in different ways but do a roughly equivalent job of avoiding the primary attack vectors. The difference has been in the relative lack of interest by the bad guys. That is changing. All the current attack lacks is a truly malicious payload.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom