Mac Mini for web surfing on my TV

I often stream concerts and other web - accessible content to my TV from my MacBook Pro. It works, but it's a bit inconvenient and sometimes I get dropouts and freezing of the picture. It occurred to me that I could purchase a refurbished Mac Mini and dedicate it to web browsing on the TV. I have an older Apple wireless keyboard and mouse that should work if the bluetooth connection is good for 8 - 10 feet.

Has anyone else tried that or something similar? Are there potential problems I'm not aware of?

Jim, Mac Mini systems as far back as 2015 had bluetooth issues. I'd assume Apple fixed them, except they haven't fixed similar bluetooth problems in the M1 Minis recently released. I'd read up on it a bit. Those Intel based systems, refurbished, were very inexpensive on Amazon a couple of days ago.

Thanks, Rick. I had already clicked "buy" on the Apple site when your message was posted. Those Intel-based refurbs on Amazon all use HDDs or Fusion drives; I want SSD, so I went with one of the new M1 minis on sale for $589. I've got 14 days to return it if it doesn't work.

Jim, Mac Mini systems as far back as 2015 had bluetooth issues. I'd assume Apple fixed them, except they haven't fixed similar bluetooth problems in the M1 Minis recently released. I'd read up on it a bit. Those Intel based systems, refurbished, were very inexpensive on Amazon a couple of days ago.

Thanks, Rick. I had already clicked "buy" on the Apple site when your message was posted. Those Intel-based refurbs on Amazon all use HDDs or Fusion drives; I want SSD, so I went with one of the new M1 minis on sale for $589. I've got 14 days to return it if it doesn't work.
A positive and hopeful report: https://markellisreviews.com/does-macos-11-2-fix-the-mac-mini-bluetooth-issue/

I will be interested to see how it works for you. I think you made a good choice to go with a new one.

I've had a 2012 Mac Mini attached to my TV for nearly 9 years now. All of our movies are on it as well as TV shows we purchased over the years, I use it to stream games, shows, movies, etc. and even added a 2nd drive to it to increase storage. Main drive is now SSD, 2nd drive is standard spinner for storage.

If BT ends up being a problem, just get a keyboard/trackpad combo and use a usb dongle. I'm using this - https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wir...7bb3e9a788c&pd_rd_wg=Jw2GK&pd_rd_i=B014EUQOGK

I've had a 2012 Mac Mini attached to my TV for nearly 9 years now. All of our movies are on it as well as TV shows we purchased over the years, I use it to stream games, shows, movies, etc. and even added a 2nd drive to it to increase storage. Main drive is now SSD, 2nd drive is standard spinner for storage.

If BT ends up being a problem, just get a keyboard/trackpad combo and use a usb dongle. I'm using this - https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wir...7bb3e9a788c&pd_rd_wg=Jw2GK&pd_rd_i=B014EUQOGK

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like you like this setup.

I have access to three video music services that my wife and I enjoy frequently that can only be accessed through a web browser. I think this combo will work much better than streaming from my MacBook Pro.

I use Apple 4k TV’s for most of my streaming services. I use either my phone or iPad as a remote if I need to do a lot of searching otherwise the small remote works well.

Good luck with the mini Jim, I’m sure it will work well

I use Apple 4k TV’s for most of my streaming services. I use either my phone or iPad as a remote if I need to do a lot of searching otherwise the small remote works well.

Good luck with the mini Jim, I’m sure it will work well

Thanks for responding, Richard. I have an older 3rd generation Apple TV which works pretty well, but I think this will be more enjoyable to use.

Thanks for responding, Richard. I have an older 3rd generation Apple TV which works pretty well, but I think this will be more enjoyable to use.

I have just added an Amazon 4K fire stick which I will use when we go on holiday. It's much smaller and easier to pack than the Apple TV.

Enjoyment is what it is all about Jim, and I'm sure the Mac mini will perform well!

Last evening provided another demonstration of why I want to use the mini with the TV.

Thursday evening my wife and I had started streaming a Berlin Philharmonic concert but stopped after the first movement of the Bruckner symphony because it was getting late. Last evening we wanted to continue the same concert, but the MacBook Pro couldn't find the Apple TV. I tried rebooting the computer, but no joy. Then I rebooted the Apple TV. That finally worked. But often I get a blank screen with the message "Your Apple TV is not connected to the internet". That never happens with the MacBook Pro in the same room.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom