Mac Mini for web surfing on my TV

My new Mac Mini arrived yesterday and was up and running about an hour later. It works fine, but there is an awkward problem I hadn't anticipated.

It is connected to my 43-inch Sony 4K TV. The problem is that I can't see the screen details well enough from the sofa to use the computer. I have to use binoculars or move a chair up to within a couple of feet.

We watched a recent concert by the Berlin Philharmonic last night, and it works perfectly, just as I had hoped. But I can't localize the mouse pointer to pause it or make changes to settings w/o getting up and moving the mouse and keyboard table up close. I manage with binoculars, but it is awkward holding them in one hand while working the mouse with the other.

Jim, this may be a silly question, but doesn't your Sony smart TV have a built in browser or perhaps a browser app you could download? While it can be a pain to type into these browsers, I have several sites that I use and saved to bookmarks on my TV browser which avoids the re-typing. This works great for me and no secondary computer or streaming device was needed.

I also seem to recall that my Amazon fire TV device has a Mozilla browser app which should work nicely.

Jim, this may be a silly question, but doesn't your Sony smart TV have a built in browser or perhaps a browser app you could download? While it can be a pain to type into these browsers, I have several sites that I use and saved to bookmarks on my TV browser which avoids the re-typing. This works great for me and no secondary computer or streaming device was needed.

I also seem to recall that my Amazon fire TV device has a Mozilla browser app which should work nicely.

I never thought of that possibility. It seems that there is a browser app available. I'll try to find it today.

I never thought of that possibility. It seems that there is a browser app available. I'll try to find it today.
Please try and report back.

Typing on those browsers is not fun with the remote. If you can bookmark your commonly removed sites, you will only need to type them in once.

My wife is on a selection committee for a local film festival and has their secure site bookmarked for access to the movies.

I have a broadway site and my smugmug site bookmarked. One click and I'm in.

Bingo! Yep, there is a browser and it works pretty well.

Many thanks, Mitch. Why I never discovered this I'll never know. The browser doesn't appear among the standard apps on the TV; I had to search for it, but it is there and has full Google search support.

Guess I'll be returning the Mac Mini.

Don't return it just yet...put the browser through it's paces. Most of these smart devices that have browsers built in are stripped down versions of the Chromium project (essentially what Chrome, Opera and Brave are built on) and may not be sufficient enough to do most of what you're looking for.

Go into the accessible settings and increase the mouse cursor size under Display. You can also go into Accessibility-->Zoom and enable Hover Text. Hover over text and press Command (CTRL on non-apple keyboards) and it'll zoom in on text. There are other keyboard shortcuts for zooming when in menus and such.

Don't return it just yet...put the browser through it's paces. Most of these smart devices that have browsers built in are stripped down versions of the Chromium project (essentially what Chrome, Opera and Brave are built on) and may not be sufficient enough to do most of what you're looking for.

Go into the accessible settings and increase the mouse cursor size under Display. You can also go into Accessibility-->Zoom and enable Hover Text. Hover over text and press Command (CTRL on non-apple keyboards) and it'll zoom in on text. There are other keyboard shortcuts for zooming when in menus and such.

I only need to reach three web sites. If I can bookmark them, I'm all set.

I increased the mouse cursor size yesterday, but I was not aware of "Hover text".

I'll report back later.

You may only have to reach 3 websites now...that may increase over time depending on what you find you can/can't do. In my case, it's also what stores movies, shows and so on that I can quickly load up and watch if I want. You won't be able to do that with just a smart tv browser.

What I do. I have mine connected to a 4K monitor, really good for 4K movies, WAY too many pixels for the Mini. In system Preferences -> Displays, I set the Resolution to Scaled then pick a size. Also I sometimes need to use Control + mouse wheel to scale up the window temporarily.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. But with the Sony TV browser now, I can see no reason to keep the Mini. It's a nice little computer but way too inconvenient to use on the TV, and I have no other use for it.

I owe a big debt of gratitude to Mitchell for leading me to the browser on the TV.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. But with the Sony TV browser now, I can see no reason to keep the Mini. It's a nice little computer but way too inconvenient to use on the TV, and I have no other use for it.

I owe a big debt of gratitude to Mitchell for leading me to the browser on the TV.

I'm glad it worked. Raise a glass to me this evening while you stream La Traviata from the Met!

Raise a glass to me this evening while you stream La Traviata from the Met!
We enjoyed that old (1981) production of La Traviata very much. It featured a young and slim Placido Domingo, and a soprano who I was not familiar with, Ileana Cotrubas. But then, we were not opera fans forty years ago.

My wife even insisted that we watch it through to the bitter end. The last act is a bit too maudlin for my tastes, but it was very well sung and acted.

The Mac Mini has been shipped back to Apple.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom