Mac OS X 10.5.5

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Julien, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Just like the title says :wink:

I'm downloading it now on my secondary machine ( just to be safe … ).

2. Installed and working on my Mac Pro.

3. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    I just received notice that it was available, and then I looked at this thread. Is there any reason I shouldn't update?

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    All seems fine on my Macbook so far.

5. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    Generally it is best to wait a day or two, and see if any problems are reported. Apple has had more then one update that caused problems. Unless the update fixes a specific problem that you have, let others test it first, especially if your computer is used for any sort of business income.

6. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I'm new the whole mac world here so be patient with my nOObie question.
    But, does this update fix anything or add any features? Is this something that I HAVE to do?

7. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks. i am a relative newcomer to the Mac and so far I haven't had any problems with the software updates, but having been a long time Windows user they always worry me a bit.

8. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    If you go to the apple menu and down to software update it will look for upgrades. Here is a discussion about it on macrumors

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/15/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-5-5/

But like I said before unless it fixes some specific issue you are having it doesn't hurt to wait.

9. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    Not a problem. I have been using macs for a long time and I am good for getting burned every-once and while. Typically after being burned I am real careful not to install an upgrade, then a year or so later I forget why I was being so careful and upgrade as soon as it shows up and repeat the cycle.

10. I've installed it on two machines so far and no problems in either situation. MacBook Pro (a couple generations back, Core Duo 2) and MacBook Air (1.8 SDD). Tomorrow the Mac Pro and the ever-getting-longer-in-the-tooth G5 iMac and the Core Duo MBP......

11. Wileec

Wileec Guest

The high road . . .

. . . for big Apple system updates is to download the stand alone combo update from Apple's website. I realize that most people use software update without a hitch - but if it always worked right, I wouldn't get the calls I get, to rescue people from the issues they run into.

Any way repair disk permissions, then install using the stand alone combo update and you will minimize your chance of having problems with an Apple update - especially if you wait a few days, to make sure Apple hasn't released a lemon. They don't do it very often, but it does happen.

12. Safari See.....oh, nevermind... I forgot I'm still using the Safari 4 developer preview :wink:

(for those of you who don't know, it's a bit of a running gag on Apple forums to say that 'safari seems snappier' after a software update)

I do think that it's running well on my Mac Pro. Looking forward to seeing if any minor changes have improved responsiveness. Next up my MBAir once I back it up.

13. No D700 RAW support :(

14. Harrison, I laughed out loud when I read your "Safari See...." LOL!!!! Yep, SO many times that line pops up on MacRumors after an OS update! :biggrin:

So far no problems on either of the two machines I've updated. The MBA did very nicely with it and after the update I was on it for a few hours, including running YouTube and other videos without a hitch.....

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    It does now, check out here :wink:

16. papa85

papa85 Guest

This afternoon I upgraded to 10.5.5.. So far everything is running very smooth on my April issue 24" Imac :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  17. Put it on my Power Mac -no problems at all - if anything it runs a little faster.

18. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I am THE Mac noobie and just thought what the heck... I will let Apple figure it out if I have problems. I installed the updates and can't tell any difference at all. So proud to report my first update has gone without a hitch! Go me!