Mac OSX Lion / Beware before upgrading

Apple's latest OSX Lion will no longer support older 32bit apps that requires Rosetta. Rosetta allowed PowerPC apps to run on Intel based Macs. Before you run out and upgrade to Lion, you should take a look at your apps and see which ones require Rosetta to function. If I upgrade to Lion, I will no longer be able to use Microsoft Office 2004, Eye One Match calibration software, Quicken 2004 and Epson's scanner software for the Perfection 4180.

Maybe I will upgrade my Mac Pro to Lion and keep my Macbook Pro on Snow Leopard. The new features are nice.

*** For those who don't know how to check their apps. Click on the Apple icon up on the tool bar. Click on About This Mac > More Info > Software Applications. Click on Kind to sort and scroll to PowerPC. These apps are not compatible with Lion.

Apple's latest OSX Lion will no longer support older 32bit apps that requires Rosetta. Rosetta allowed PowerPC apps to run on Intel based Macs. Before you run out and upgrade to Lion, you should take a look at your apps and see which ones require Rosetta to function. If I upgrade to Lion, I will no longer be able to use Microsoft Office 2004, Eye One Match calibration software, Quicken 2004 and Epson's scanner software for the Perfection 4180.

Maybe I will upgrade my Mac Pro to Lion and keep my Macbook Pro on Snow Leopard. The new features are nice.

*** For those who don't know how to check their apps. Click on the Apple icon up on the tool bar. Click on About This Mac > More Info > Software Applications. Click on Kind to sort and scroll to PowerPC. These apps are not compatible with Lion.

Thankgod 99% percent of the apps arn't PPC based Rosetta anymore :). I don't have them...

How do you tell if they require Rosetta?

Da, I should have read the rest of Patrick's quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt there will be some sort of 3rd party emulator to save the day for those who still require older applications... no?

I understand why old software cannot be supported forever, but so many people have Office 2004 and do not want to upgrade.

What bothers me is that Apple is only offering Lion as an upgrade for Snow Leopard, so you must have that first. Also, you must have 10.6.7 if you want to dl the security fix for MacDefender. It seems as though Apple is aggressively forcing one to upgrade these days.

I use Vuescan, and it is also PowerPC. I have not checked for upgrades in a long time, though.

I'm running v8.6 and it is a Universal Binary....
I just checked, and I hadn't upgraded VueScan since 2005.:eek: So, I just upgraded to 9.0.45, and it's now Universal Binary. Thanks for the heads up!

Rosetta? Wow. That means the software is something like 8 or 10 years old. Computer years yet. Aren't computer years like dog years?

I know software is expensive, but for me I'd rather Apple cut their ties with legacy old software/hardware and move on to new. Otherwise you end up with kludged spaghetti systems like MS has.

While I feel others pain I agree with Rob. One of the reasons sited for slow NX2 performance is that it still works with the first Nikon digital cameras. I wish they would sell Capture 4 for all pre D2X Nikons and streamline NX3 whenever it comes out.

On my system there are a few that seem to be problematic...

various parts of Office 2008
various parts of DiskWarrior
various parts of Adobe CS3
parts of the NoiseNinja plugin
Eye-one Match

Boo!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom