Mac Peer to peer networking - what am I doing wrong?

I've got a MacPro, MacBookPro and two minis in a wireless/wired network. I've gone into each and set up file sharing with the appropriate settings. According to what I read that's all I need. Yet whenever I try to get over to another Mac to grab a file I get these bloody "can't find alias" errors on all but one of the Macs. I keep getting asked for passwords and when I use the ones I knmow I put into each Mac it comes back with the alias errors. Frustrating.

I thought this stuff was so "easy to use" what am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Rich

Not sure. Use Finder, click on Network, click on the computer then click on the Connect icon below the computer icon in the next pane. A new pane should come up titled Connect to Server. Connect as Registered User by entering the Name and Password. If you wish check the Remember password in keychain box.

be sure when you type in the "user name" you use the username for the computer you are trying to log on to, not the computer you are actually on at the moment

This seems to be working. I guess if the computer is asleep it doesn't work. Of course that means I have to run around waking everything up.

One more question for the gurus. When I select "My Network" it shows the other Mac with different spellings:

Family Room PC
Family-Room-PC

and
Guest room computer
Guest-Room-Comp

How can I go and remove the extra name and also change the name of the computer the others see?

Thanks, Rich

I would not change the names. It may be that one is the 'short name' and is made up by OS X. I believe there is a setting that will allow you to wake them remotely. Check over at macosg.com and see if someone there can tell you where in Preferences it is located.

I would not change the names. It may be that one is the 'short name' and is made up by OS X. I believe there is a setting that will allow you to wake them remotely. Check over at macosg.com and see if someone there can tell you where in Preferences it is located.
Found it, thanks!

Rich

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom