1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

mac pro died

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by dwind, Aug 16, 2008.

1. dwind

dwind Guest

It won't boot.
    Power up, beeps, fans come on, and power light lit.
    I tried all the resets plus popped the hard drive and ram to no avail.
    Called apple support and they had me go through it again - all except popping the memory and hard drive.
    Got an appt. with the geeks at apple shortly.

I did find out that even though you've got a warranty you need apple care before you can get support so I had to buy applecare.

2. Did they have you disconnect every cable from the back wait a few minutes then connect only the monitor, keyboard & mouse, hold down the Control command, p and r keys and then turn on the power? Yes, I know, really dumb key combination.

3. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
    Is the screen just not coming on? Do you have another mac you can connect it via Firewire boot? Are you getting any screen activity?

4. May be the logic board.....something similar happened to my Mac Pro a couple of months ago. Took it over to the Genius Bar at the Apple store and they worked on it, determining that this was the problem. So far she's worked just fine ever since! I was very thankful to have Apple Care, since it would've cost me a sweet $1800 or so otherwise!

5. dwind

dwind Guest

That's what they think. They ordered a logic board and video board. My guess is the logic board. Several people have told me the same thing with mac pros.

6. dwind

dwind Guest

Since my mac is layed up for at least a week I switched over to my backup system - a quad, 6g running vista ultimate. Actually not too bad. It does everything I want to do and is fast, probably faster than my quad mac pro(cnx2). The one thing it's missing that I use the heck out of is spaces.
    I don't want to turn this into a pc vs mac, that isn't the intent. But, vista does work for what I use it for - vnc, thunderbird, cnx, and firefox and dual monitors. When the mac comes back the vista machine will go back to hibernating. So, if you need a backup machine at less than 1/2 the price, it works.

7. dwind

dwind Guest

It's back now running fine.
    Apple replaced both the logic board and video card???
    The machine is on a UPS so I've ni dea how both could have gone bad.
    Popped the additional 8g and a new hard drive in and it came right up.

8. My Mac Pro is always connected to a UPS, too, and yet it went bad.... I guess I'll never know why, but I'm glad to have my baby back in good health! Glad that yours is home again and fine, too!

9. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    There are lots of differences between UPS units. We are on an alternate energy system, with inverters, a large battery bank, solar panels, and diesel generators. When the system switches between generator power to battery power, there is a 1/60th of a second power interruption. Our boiler, and a small Toyo stove that warms the generator room do not like that brief power interruption. If they are running at the time, the power interruption even as brief as it is, will cause them to shut down, and then they will restart. Shutting down when running can cause the jets to gum up. So, they are on UPS units. The UPS units we use have very large batteries, and they are true UPS, and they cost at least $400/each. A smaller UPS/surge protector is not always adequate to protect your expensive equipment.

10. My Mac Pro and the 30" ACD monitor are hooked up to an APC 1500 UPS, which is pretty hefty and powerful. I think it weighs about 50 or 60 pounds. At the time I ordered the machine I consulted with a good, trustworthy friend and purchased this UPS, which was recommended for its capacity to handle the power needs of the Mac Pro. I also have a smaller APC 1200 which I had hooked up to the G5 iMac when I was using it on a regular basis. Now it's hooked up to the 17" MBP and 23" ACD that I'm using as a desktop replacement. (The Mac Pro is reserved for digital imaging projects only.) I also have smaller, multi-plug surge protectors that I use around the house for other items.

11. dwind

dwind Guest

It's been up for 24 hours now running like a champ, knock on wood.
    The vista ultimate is powered off now.
    I may take it to my cabin for lack of any better place to put it.

12. SkatetoPunk

SkatetoPunk Guest

this thread is disheartening.. my h.p laptop's motherboard died for the second time in a year so i gave up and bought a new mac book pro.. i sure hope it dosnt do the same thing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.